Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This from Glyn (posted with his permission):

Dear All,

Attached are a list of all properties on the `Ladder` with three or more doorbells. Obviously this does NOT mean they are all properties converted into HMO`s without planning but a number of them may be.

We will be passing this list to LBH for their consideration.

Some illegal conversions however may not have door buzzers at all so if any of you know of suspected illegal conversions near you that are not on this list, please forward details on to us and we will add them.

Glyn.

Tags for Forum Posts: burglary, hmo, housing

Views: 475

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And excellent those aims are too. Thank you.
Yes thank you Glyn. That was a very useful summary of the need to work to help Harringay residents to have decent housing.
I think when people see talk about illegal HMOs on here they don't always realise that we are talking about substandard housing which can be a danger to those living in it and unscrupulous landlords who exploit people's inability to afford a decent place to live.
http://england.shelter.org.uk/howtohelp/howtohelp-7607.cfm
Thank you Glyn. As Liz said that was a very useful primer on the HMO issue. It was important that you explained the thinking behind your actions. What you say makes sense to me. ANd thank you for taking the issue seriously and helping to tackle the issue.

I hear a lot about Haringey's enforcement action being ineffective. But I'm loathe to judge without all the facts. Do you know anything about it?
Actually, on reflection, I withdraw the question to Glyn; it's probably not fair to ask him this question. But I leave the question open for anyone, from the Council or elsewhere, who may be able to enlighten me.
Please all note for accuracy's sake that the last message posted by Glyn (or via Glyn) is from Police Sergent Ian Pyles, the head of our area Safer Neighbourhood Team.
A lively debate continues to support our SNT for spending the time to put this HMO list together. See comment below taken from a furious swirl of emails being batted up and down the ladder at the moment.

I am in total agreement with you on this - if the council bothered to pull their finger out in the first place on dealing with this matter properly and efficiently then Glynn would not have to waste his valuable time doing what he has done and neither would I and lots of other neighbourhood watch co-ordinators as well as local residents have to spend ridiculous amounts of our own time writing, chasing, cajoling, pushing, prodding ad infinitum the ineffective and slack enforcement of planning law by the council's planning department - its tiring and frustrating. If Cllr Canvers house was mistakenly on the list then I agree that Glynn needs to be advised but someone in her position should have made the point in a far more measured manner and in a tone that supported Glyn - not criticised him

Henry B
(Warham Road Neighbourhood Watch)
Councillor Gina Adamou's information regards HMOs;

Hi all,

I am sure most of you know that I am chairing HMO Working Group for our area (all councillors, cabinet members, officers and the Chair of LCSP) we are having our second meeting on the 18th March, I have send the information that Glynn has send to me to the Neighbourhood Manager to compare with the information we have. I have also asked and received all the planning applications for Harringay Ward received between 01/03/1998 – 22/01/2008. I am hopping that once we have complete this work our recommendation will go to the cabinet and the cabinet, I hope will agree to a pilot scheme for this area.

With regards

Cllr Gina Adamou
Well that's good but what does she mean by pilot scheme? And the fact that they have to do this means that they do not currently have the means or the inclination to prosecute developers who do not have planning consent for the work they are doing.
As it is only their second meeting, I doubt she knows what she means by a pilot scheme. You're absolutely right...this is an admission of failure.
Well at least something appears to be happening. I for one hadn't heard of this Working Group but it's obviously new. Now is the time to put pressure on that Working Group to continue to report back to their public, including to this site, informing us what they intend to do and updating on progress.

Personally I think the HMO WG should be renamed Harringay Environment WG so the tackling of estate agent signs can be included for example.

Liz, note Ian is on this WG so you have a direct line of sorts.
It has been noted, believe me...one more for the meeting.
Is the HMO issue purely a Ladder issue? When house hunting, I was shown an overcrowded HMO for sale in Kimberley Gardens and had to discount a lovely house in Stanhope because the owner/developer admitted that there was a noisy HMO next door. The GRA does not appear to be on this working group. Anyone know why not? Is this not an issue for all residents groups in Harringay?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service