Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Pickpockets on the 29- keeping passengers on their guard.

Should the bus company be convinced to give out
recorded messages on the 29 (or other buses for that
matter) as they do at train stations warning people to look
after their property and that pickpockets operate on
them?

or possibly there could be large permenant signs stating the same message?

Thoughts?

Tags for Forum Posts: 29bus, crime, pickpockets, publictransport, safety, transport

Views: 97

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Signs. Put them at the oyster pay point so that only people actually paying will see them.
They do on the 29. There is a message every three or four stops, in rush hour anyway, warning people that "pickpockets operate" on this bus and that fare dodging is a criminal offence.
Bus approaches Manor House. Recording kicks in over speaker system;

'Welcome to Harringay ladies & gentlemen and other passengers. Please be aware it may take some time to get through the Arena traffic jam. In the mean time watch out for your fellow passengers as they may try to rob you. When you disembark watch out for muggers, dog poo and dumped mattresses, cracked pavements .... and other bendy buses whilst crossing the road. Please try to relax while using this service. We hope you visit again. Thank you.'

I know it does seem over the top for bus drivers to make such announcements like this but pickpocketing is rife on the 29. I generally use my bike to get about haringey but occasional use the buses, say once a week, last summer, nearly everytime I used the bus I witnessed a pickpocket in action. Having had my purse stolen on the 29 and a mobile a few years ago, I'm really aware of it. Next time your on the 29 don't stand by the the doors, try and get a seat by the doors and watch the crowd at the door. They work in gangs of 3 or 4 and everytime I've seen them, its been gangs of women, targerting mainly the elderly or young mums with prams who's minds are on the babies etc. They stand by the door so they can make a quick escape. If you see someone with a coat hanging over their arm or a scarf so that you cant see their hands its normally a sign they are up to something. Last summer I interupted about 4 pickpockets in action. On one occasion I told the bus driver and he locked all the doors on the bus so the pickpockets couldnt get off, but there were so many people at the bus stop waiting to get on and getting angry, he let them go but atleast they didnt get the purse of this little old lady. Having watched these gangs target people who are so unaware of whats going on, literally under their nose I've often thought that an anouncement might wake people up to the dangers around them.
Yes an announcement is necessary. It's just unfortunate things have stooped this low.
They start the announcements at Manor House, I was told. Welcome to our part of London!
I was on this bus today all the way to Mornington Crescent and back and the signs warning against pickpockets were on the display most of the time but the actual announcement did occur at Manor House. It is an area where there is always a crush to get on and off and so I think that's why they put it on just before you get there. (the other ones being at Camden Town and Finsbury Park, they should also play them there...FP was where a little rat tried to put his hand in my bag but believe me a tired mother with buggy and whining child is not to be trifled with.) It did have the effect of making people look round and check bags I noticed so maybe it works. Mind you inspectors on buses also work...you should have the seen the number of people that got back off the bus when they spotted them standing there...bring back the bus conductor eh?
I`m with Liz. Yes we have to be worried about fear of crime, but being aware is more important

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service