Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Anti social behaviour in Harringay (was Young people living on the ladder in HMOs)

I will go out on a limb here and say that most of the people on this site are owner occupiers concerned with (in no particular order):
- "crime" e.g. having your cellphone stolen off of you, maybe your wallet too
- poor enforcement of planning laws by the council
- fly-tipping/messy front yards
- dogshit in the passage/on your shoes/in your house
- local "quality of life" i.e. making the high street beautiful and giving it a nice mix of shops
- the quality of education at the local schools
- our property values (go on admit it, we do think about this)

Here is a potential list of a young person's concerns (living in an HMO)
- "crime" e.g.
having a housemate steal from you/beat you up
being mugged for your cellphone which you have no insurance for and has all your important numbers in.
if you're a girl being raped would probably rate pretty highly as a concern.
- cleaning up after your dog which you paid a king's ransom for but cannot afford to feed anything other than leftovers from the kebab shop or junk dog food and hence cleaning up is pretty bad and you're hungover, you'll do it next time... oh you regret buying that dog but you do feel a bit safer...
- getting a "job"/some money
- getting a boyfriend/girlfriend
- getting high
- doing something with your life
- being shifted out of your flat (you don't think about this when you're high).

I know some of us have truly awful issues that involve young people but we should really be moaning about the council and the landlords. I feel that we (myself included) can demonise them unfairly on here. What do we think about making them off limits?

Tags for Forum Posts: antisocial, hmos, housing, youngpeople

Views: 325

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I don't have a problem with HMOs on the whole, I have a problem with some of the people in them. I even think we have a squat on our road and I here there's never any bother - hurrah!

There are also problem neighbours who live in flats and houses, this is not restricted to HMOs.

Maybe the fascination with the term HMO could be changed to encompass all anti social residents in the area, not just picking on folk who house share.
Birdy, I agree. I suppose the term antisocial selfish w****rs is not too PC, is it? How about PP - ProblemPeople or Person?
"antisocial selfish w****rs"

I wouldn't be too uncomfortable using that term.
me neither, but then again I'm no lady.. :D
> Maybe the fascination with the term HMO could be changed to encompass all anti social residents in the area, not just picking on folk who house share.

Yes, now we are getting somewhere. The Falkland Rd property that was a problem was owner occupied. :)

HMOs aren't the problem as such.
Perhaps John should retitle this discussion, Anti social behaviour in Harringay since it has veered away from housing to dealing with nightmare neigbours...a very different issue
Anti social behaviour in properties within Harringay, whether it be one or forty one in a house, is the same issue IMO. HMO and housing are also differant issues.

There also is some degree if crossover here.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service