Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Even though we are 30 miles from Heathrow, North and North East London is on the flight path (including the Ladder) which means that about half of all flights landing at Heathrow pass over or near us. I find the noise is much worse in the summer, when we have the windows open and it tends to be particularly bad first thing in the morning from 6am and from 10-11pm.

Currently 350 flights pass over or near us every day, but if the Government gives the go-ahead for the third runway that will increase to 700 per day. Here are the overall stats - currently Heathrow deals with 1100 flights per day which is a movement every 90 seconds - with a third runway this will increase to to 1800 flights per day and a movement every 56 seconds!

You can see the movements over our area using this interactive website:

http://lhr.webtrak-lochard.com

to see a particularly busy hour, click on 21st Feb from 11:30am - we are classified as Finsbury

The consultation for the third runway closes on Wed 27th Feb. To oppose the third runway email your name, email address and postcode and simply write: "I oppose any further expansion at Heathrow" in the body of the email. Send it to:

heathrowconsultation@dft.gsi.gov.uk

Tags for Forum Posts: aircraft noise, flight paths

Views: 1297

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think there was a rerouting of flight paths last year which may have increased the flight paths that pass directly over us.

Stiill, I can't say that it bothers me. In somewhere like Kew where the plabes are much lower and more ferquent, I really notice it. Here they seem high enough for me not to notice. Except now you've mentioned it...............
I'm told that "plabe" is not recognised local slang for plane around here - so I hope this message will remove any doubt.
In the morning in the summer, the 6.30 from Funsville, USA was better than an alarm clock for waking us up but generally not too bad the rest of the day as the planes were usually high. As for the pesky plabes, who do I email to complain about them?
i cant say i have ever noticed to be honest!

the only transport noise nuisance that bothers me from time to time is the sound of the trains behind wightman road. i live half way down a ladder road and i can still hear them sometimes. however, its still not bad enough for me to be seriously annoyed by it.
Those trains are incredibly noisy, especially in winter when the bank of trees that normally filter the noise don't have their leaves.

Regards the planes I heard on the radio today that National Air Traffic Services are renewing the flight path patterns anyway. This should mean the planes spend less time below 4000 ft and therefore less noise for ourselves.

BBC article;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7255717.stm
For once, I am not annoyed at all! Planes or plabes, no problem, they're background noise at worst. :D

..but then again I grew up quite close to an airport, so am probably a bit damaged. WHAT???
I'm conscious of the frequency of the planes but only because it is a constant source of amazement to my parents when they visit, as they live somewhere where the only planes are practice fighter jets flown about 50 metres above their heads (north Scotland not Iraq in case you are wondering!).
Oh I've been priveleged to see them do that along the valleys within the Highlands. So fast! So noisy! So powerful! And yes they really are that close to the ground.
I know! My son was utterly bewildered by them last summer - that gap between hearing them and seeing them. Suspect I'd get a bit fed up if I saw it every week though.
I was doing a Heathrow run yesterday and picked up a copy of the airport's in-house rag. In it, there was an article on flightpaths across London and a diagram showing where they run. A copy is attached. I've marked the position of the area where Harringay is. It seems that we're relatively lucky.

I woke up this morning at around 5 and couldn't get back to sleep - one of those nights, I suppose. Whilst lying in bed, I noticed the noise coming from (what sounded like) low flying jets overhead - I'm guessing this happened after 6. I'd never noticed aircraft noise before during my years of living on the ladder (asides the odd police 'copter now and again) and was quite shocked at how loud it actually was.
Wow, what a weird map. Like a psychedelic hair do. It's true that the flight paths happen as shown. I can see them coming in from Essex and Brent to meet up at Muswell Hill where they join the stacking system and continue to fly across Hackney > Tower Hamlets > Southwark and onto Heathrow.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service