Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Those of you who look at the weekly planning and licensing updates may have noticed that the Old Ale Emporium recently applied for a late night and music licence.

To be honest that didn't disturb me overly. This week I noticed that the cafe opposite, Mezzo, has also applied for a late night licence.

Now, I don't know if this is anything to be concerend about or not. I did however discern the start of a possible pattern where licence applications may ricochet all the way up Green Lanes - "God, he's got one. I'd better get one too".

My aim is simply to make you aware.

Tags for Forum Posts: green lanes, licensing, mezzo, oldaleemporium

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Either licensing application can be inspected on line. You can go via the downloadable planning & licensing updates on this site. (See link in navigation panel on the main page).
I dont think its a case of He has one I better get one ,its more a case of everyone else has one in the street and we are the last to apply
the Beaconsfield has a late night and music licence so does the Salisbury and the Garden ladder .
every one of the Kebab shops have late licences til 2;00 am .
Macdonalds are open 24 hours and so is Sainsbury supermarket
Most of the fruit shps on Greenlanes are open 24 /7 ,
they also sell alcohol in these shops at all hours of the night and day.
Thanks for that David. It puts things into perspective.
I should add that David has been very open and communicative about his application from the ouset. See his comments on the The Old Ale Emporium - Smoking Area Planned discussion. He also sent me a message at the time he made the application offering to answer any questions people had. So if there is anything you'd like to check, I'm sure David will be willing to respond.
When 24 hour licencing came in, I was slightly concerned, maybe due to the press saturation of the High Street mass riots that would develop.

It doesn't concern me one bit now. Green Lanes has always been a 24 hour road and that's why I've felt safe walking down it at four in the morning, not for a few years now mind : )

If the Punch and Headbut on Ducketts Common can get a late licence, surely anyone can. That place concerns me more than any other in our area, certainly not the OAE, Beaconsfield, GL and Salisbury.

On a slightly differant tangent, didn't the Beaconsfield use to have a "community" office for local groups to work from, maybe only the elite groups in the area though!
Following a discussion with one of the customers in the OAE I feel I should clarify that not all the things on the application will be used .
1 Dancing inside and out side ; there wil be no dancing on the street or pavement at any hour day or night
2 Live music ; if any time there is live music in the pub then it will be kept to reasonable hours and a reasonable volume to make sure that none of our nieghbours are disturbed.

I however do feel that there has been a lot of disinformation passed among the local residents of Burgoyne road by parties that know nothing, but are speculating about whats going to happen when the licence is granted
If any one has a legitimate concern, come see Me and I will do my best to answer there questions
do not rely on the Rumours of others for you information.

I would also like to point out that in the two years I have been Manager of the OAE there has never been any complaint about noise or people leaving the pub or taxis picking people up .

I would also like to point out that there has been no trouble there either that has required the presence of police officers ,or disturbed the local residents of Burgoyne road.

That includes the T.E.N'S we have had over two years at Xmas and new year when the pub was open till three A.M in both cases
This doesn't disturb me too much. I moved to the area 20 years ago because it was lively and felt safe with people around late at night and I still prefer to walk down Green Lanes when there are other people on the road. I prefer that to isolated spots.
That’s great news Alan; it’s already had a lick of paint on the external upper part of the building and was explaining to many that the ground floor hadn’t being done due to pending building work.

I am not going to knock the Salisbury, because it is a damn nice “pub”, maybe not in the traditional sense, but it does offer a wide range for a wide audience, but it does lack a few things that a proper local offers, that’s where the OAE comes in. The Salisbury is too big and “in” to be a warm local boozer

This is a proper local without any of the pretentiousness that some others may have. I have no problem with gastro type pubs; they have their place just like traditional pubs.

I am very much looking forward to the new look OAE

Back to the topic, I don’t have a problem with late licensing at all, I have seen zero evidence that this adds to anti social or criminal activity, in fact may add to deter it.

Any person in their right mind would use a little bit of common sense regarding licensing, planning, dancing and music. I don’t expect for one second that a stage is be erected on the corner if the OAE for a resident death metal band to commence playing at midnight every Friday.
For anyone that may be interested there is a meeting in the civic centre tonight about the OAE licence
its due to commence at 19 30 .
any one wishing to attend to give support or object is welcome
I would like to thank all who have supported us at the Old ale
Thanks David. That's decent of you to let us know.
Alas the meeting at the civic center was adjourned as one of the councillors was a ward member for our ward so couldnt hear it
I will post the next meeting date and time when we receive it
on monday the 12th of may the council in its wisdom granted the OAE it late licence in full
the hours of business will be on the front door for all to see
it seems some are upset with this as they went to the journal and stated some inaccuracies
about our opening hours We will not be open till 01:00 am everynight .
Mr Roger Topping made statements to the journal of which he has no evidence of, this public house has no reputation for being a troubled pub. the hours are no worse than the hours granted to the Salsbury Hotel , the Beaconsfield or indeed the Garden Ladder which all have late night licences and attract no hooligan troublemakers as stated by Mr Topping in his statement to the journal about the OAE
Mr Topping, Whom to my recollection has never drunk in this public House .
He also lives no where near the OAE
the claims that there is no need for these hours is clearly unfounded as if you go in to the salisbury on a friday and saturday you will find a great deal of people still drinking at 02:00 AM
it seems that there has been a great deal of misinformation spread about the OAE by certain people who have no idea what they are talking about.
Mr Topping seems to have been misled by inaccurate information concerning this Public House
there has never been any trouble with police being called or indeed any noise complaint to the noise pollution team so any claims to the contrary are unfounded and inaccurate.
David Smith
OAE Manager

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service