Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

We just found out from our neighbour, that his friend was mugged last Saturday, around 11pm, while walking past Harringay Passage. He was dragged into the Passage and had his phone, wallet and other valuables stolen. The police acted quickly and searched for the attackers but they were too late. Whas it just an isolated incident? It would be interesting to know what are the crime statistics for this area.
I've lived on the Ladder for over 4 years and felt quite safe here, even when I had to walk alone from the bus stop late at night. But now I am rather scared. I know taking a cab is the safest option after a night out but it's expensive. What we need is more police presence and better street lighting to prevent crime in the first place.

Tags for Forum Posts: crime, passage, safety

Views: 476

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anna, so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope he was ok.

There are stats available. I will contact a couple of sources to see if we can't get them published on the site here. I hope to be able to provide some reassurance. But it is as well for people to be on their guard since the incident you report is very recent.
Anna, some interim stats for you from the last two reports from our local bobby, Glynn.

In the January meeting he reported 4 robberies (as opposed to burglaries) in Harringay Ward in the preceding month. At this month's meeting he reported 0.

That's the best I have for now.
Glyn, our local bobby has just told me that he'll look into my request and get back to us all by Monday.
Anna,
Could you send me a private message with your friends name. I`m having difficulty finding the report on this one in our Crime Reporting System
Glyn
I live a few doors up from the passage, and I am now really concerned.
I have always felt reasonably safe walking up my road, but now I think I'll start walking in the middle of the road for safety!

I am with Colin re. the passage & the zero tolerance!
Colin, I am so sorry to hear what happened to you, it must have been horrible!

Why can't the police get these kids off our streets?
Anette, a couple of things to consider

(1) the more good people that walk locally, the safer it is for everyone. Keep walking if you can!

(2) the person who started the discussion about the Seymour Road mugging didn't say that the muggers were kids. There are some really great young people around here and they could do with our trust rather than suspicion. I'm sure I read somewhere that secondary schoolers are more likely to get mugged more than any other age group...
Hi Helen,
1. yes agreed, but I am not being the guinea pig! I'll leave that to bigger and stronger people.
2. No, the person who stared the post did not say it was kids, but a few other people here have refered to kids, and fact is - some kids are bad eggs. Like it or not. I never said they all are. It's the bad ones that mug people, obviously. And yes, they mug other kids too, unfortunately. They mug other kids more, because they are easier targets.
If only we could identify the muggers we'd all be much safer.
I'm not sure if the day in the original post is incorrect, or if this is another incident, but a friend of mine was mugged in the passage off Seymour Road on Sunday night at 11pm. The police turned up, but were amateurish at best. It made me think -- has anyone actually seen the police patrolling on the lanes? I see them responding to calls, but only once in two years noticed one at any other time -- that was at the particularly dangerous time of midday. I'm also aware of someone being attacked off Umfreville Road last summer.
I like seeing the community constables walking around Green Lanes. I wish they felt that they could be seen having a coffee/tea in the cafes, that's really part of their job IMHO. If the police swept the ladder in a car once a night I would say that would be sufficent, as long as there was no particular pattern. Muggers are scared of getting caught, nobody mugs alone anymore (cowards).

Please don't let us get scared of the passage. I use it all the time, at night etc and if people use it less then it will get dangerous.
John, I think your post is spot on.
I want to support Helen about youngsters. There is already too much demonising of our youth and if we treat them as criminals they'll get more alienated and, guess what, violent! Wouldn't it be better if we tried to involve them in positive work for the community.
Kids want facilities. For example 5-a-side football pitches are very popular. The Borough of Haringey has none.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service