Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The latest edition of the free paper "First Tottenham" has just been delivered. The first article on the front page reads:

Do you live in Tottenham?
When we delivered our preview edition at the beginning of last December, we had a few telephone calls from people who could not understand why they were receiving a Tottenham paper, because they thought they lived somewhere else - Hornsey, Wood Green or even Hackney..."

They provide a map of Tottenham (on p.7) which they show as reaching as far west as Wightman Road and the New River.

Are Harringay and Hornsey part of Tottenham?

Tags for Forum Posts: Harringay boundaries, harringay name

Views: 748

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have never thought that we were part of Tottenham, but I have not known the historical border changes until now.

Is Harringay part of Tottenham now? I didn’t think it was, but isn’t our MP David Lammy who represents us and the Constituency of Tottenham.

People are always trying to push boundries (especially estate agents) to “better” themselves. Harringay Ladder has been called everything from Harringay Heights/Hills/Village and even Crouch End and Muswell Hill!

I have friends who live in Stroud Green and insist they live in Crouch End, "nout so queer as folk eh"?
I thought the Editor of "Tottenham First" - was very aggressive when asking the question. Strange, given she hopes to attract new -- and keep existing -- readers. There are three answers.

3. Yes, Harringay is in the Tottenham Parliamentary constituency (I gather it used to be in the old Hornsey when Sir Hugh Rossi represented it)

2. N8 IS a Hornsey postcode

3. Harringay is a distinct community

This, I think, answers her question.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service