Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

How do people feel about the removal of free parking bays on the ladder roads? I know parents at South Harringay often used to use them when dropping off or picking up children. We usually walk to school but various families, especially those in temporary accommodation may get moved out of the area, but want to keep their children in the same school, and I would support this.

I only really noticed for the selfish reason that I used to use one outside the church on Wilberforce Road, for when my children had piano lessons. The church are not very happy as they had requested free parking so that the various groups that use the church could use it.

On the other had, for those living near them when they were sited outside residential houses maybe they were a real nuisance. I can understand this, I enjoy walking down the alleyways, and find it safer to cross where the road narrows, but with my non-Green hat on I resent losing a parking space outside our house, which borders the alley.

Also, some free bays seem to have been replaced with pay and display. I can't remember where I have seen them, are any half way along the roads, or are they all near the main road ends?

Also, I think they have put up the charges on these meters, and that it used to be a two-tier system, with those parking near Wood Green shops having to pay the higher rate. It seems to be £2.10 for an hour everywhere now. Can anyone remember what it used to be?

I suppose the bit I am most fed up about is that, despite my and, presumably plenty of others objections when the consultations came round to ending parking restrictions at 6.30, when all of us who live here know that Green Lanes is the 'street that never sleeps' and the restriction should probably be increased to 24 hours (well maybe just 20) - despite all this the restrictions still end at 6.30 now, and I remember nothing in the consultations at all about removing the free parking bays - does anyone else remember? And if it wasn't in, why have the consultation and then do something not mentioned in it, for heaven's sake? I stand to be corrected if it was included.

Tags for Forum Posts: free, freeparking, ladder cpz, parking, parkingbays

Views: 142

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Personally I would not want to have any free parking bays on the Ladder.

If you have a car and need to use it, then you will have to pay and display. Charging does deter people from using their cars, it does for me anyway. This is why, for me, the new CPZ restrictions are a daft as they encourage traffic to the area.
Some opposition at SHS and a petition being circulated on this. Have invited them to the site and suggested that they discuss this/ publicise this further.

p.s. Sorry B2 but we aim to represent all residents :)
I do not have a problem with representing all as that is what this site is all about.

Cars around schools is a pet hate of mine.
Cars are a pet hate of mine, full stop and if I had my way this area would look like the photo posted by Hugh 'Seymour Road & Green Lanes 1950s' with Grand Parade resembling Las Ramblas rather than the M25. We gave ours up 10 years ago and I have never learned to drive...but most people can always find an excuse for why they can't do the same.
Good for you Liz. I don't use mine very much and sometimes feel I am spending more on insurance and tax than on petrol. But it is the long trips to parents in country with suitcases that stop me disposing of it, not quite got that level of commitment yet, but would feel proud if I had!

Pet hate is MPVs owned by families with 2 (or fewer) kids and 4x4s that are as long as the house they are parked in front of is wide, but as having a car at all precludes me to a large extent from taking a stance on those I will not go on............
No do go on...this is music to my ears, I thought I was the only person who, having stomped across my road of a morning having had to peer round enormous cars, control a four year old and steer a buggy, gets nasty thoughts about what I'd like to do to MPV/ SUV and white van drivers (I'm a pacifist so all I do is mutter) especially those who combine this with mobile phone use...and if you 'chelsea tractor' drivers are reading this and have got those bull bars on the front of your car then you are an absolute...
I agree with you both. I would wholeheartedy support any move to rid all cars from the area - except mine of course. Can you help?
Your car would be the first to go, come the revolution my man. :D
As much as I agree with the sentiment here, we have to be realistic. It’s all very “hand knitted, organic yoghurt” speak here, some people need cars for whatever reason. I am all for traffic calming measures but we have to work within the realm of realism.

The decline of car usage is only going to happen if a suitable and affordable alternative is there. We need cheap and reliable public transport, locally and nationally. We need to encourage people to walk, cycle and use public transport where ever possible and whenever affordable.

We are spoilt in London compared to most other towns and cities, although the cost is an issue. Every body who visits me cannot believe the regularity of buses, trains and trams unlike waiting hours for a bus in some other towns and cities

I have all my family up north in three separate cities/towns and to use public transport means you usually have to pay through the nose at peak times and try taking two adults, two kids and two dogs (one now after Hooch went to the great Finsury Park in the sky yesterday : ( ) on a train with all your gear. It is a massive task, especially if you cannot get a bus for your onward journey. There are very few cab companies who have all the seating facilities a young family needs.

I have no bones in telling you I have a small camper van, which doesn’t get moved unless we head north or on holiday.

Saying that I’m heading to Stoke on Trent at the weekend, with family on the train all for £75, for all of us, return.
Two kids (one under 1) and family in Lancashire and East Anglia, B2. I'm aware of the problems and it's worse when you get there as public transport is awful and used only by the young and the very old.
I am not saying 'no car usage', it is widespread car ownership I question the need for.
I am not sure talk of people abandoning cars if there was better public transport is any less 'hand-knitted' than proposing traffic free urban areas. Cars are a lot more to some people than a way from getting from A to B ( I have women 'spitting in fury' at me at the suggestion they don't use their car, as a car is about independence and safety as far as they are concerned...as far as what a car represents to men well...)
What have you got against organic yoghurt?...Have a nice weekend :)
Yes many of us use cars where we could walk / get buses etc. What about everyone else? My elderly neighbour (who doesn't drive) is entitled to have her relatives come and visit, surely? In fact, I would like all OAPs to be issued with special parking permits for visitors. And if my mum and her partner (both late 80s) want to do some shopping in Green Lanes, how are they going to do that without being able to park? I would rather we were concerned about our seniors than how hard it is to steer your 4 year old around a parked vehicle! Don't they teach you that in yummy-mummy school?
I think you make some excellent points here, Sara. The mobility of senior citizens is indeed important and access to cheap/free parking for the elderly would make sense. I would further support your call for special permits for visitors to elderly people's homes. We are concerned that the removal of free parking bays near the church have no doubt affected the ability of some older people to use the facilities there and possibly in other places as well. If there is anybody in that position, I would be interested to hear from them as we have taken this issue to the councillors on behalf of the school (see Angela Ryan's post below) and I would be happy to speak to them about other difficulties as a result of this short sighted policy. I can be contacted on my page. Alternatively councillors can be contacted directly via their pages.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service