Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Would you Like £10,000 for your Pet Local Project? 31st March Deadline.

This from Haringey Council's website and thanks to Adam for bringing it to my attention.

Haringey Council's popular Making The Difference grants are back for the fifth consecutive year.

Leaflets are currently being sent out inviting bids from local residents for this year's grants, with a return deadline of 31 March 2008.

As in previous years, each of the seven neighbourhoods in the borough will have a £50,000 budget for local improvement projects suggested by residents.

The grants are for one-off projects to improve the local area. The maximum amount that can be allocated to any one project is £10,000.

Previous projects have included:

- Summer sports activities for young people
- "Bling your Dog" dog show promoting responsible dog ownership
- Landscaping and planting neglected areas
- Outdoor Film Show and Autumn Fair
- A tea dance for senior citizens
- A colourful mural outside Coombes Croft Library

Said Cllr Lorna Reith, Deputy Leader and cabinet member for community involvement:

"These grants have gone from strength to strength, giving local residents real control over changes they would like to see in their community. They have been very successful over the last four years in showing that small amounts of money can make a big difference, and I hope as many residents as possible will get involved this year."

Residents wanting more information should call the council on 020 8489 4928

It would be great to have a debate here on some key projects. Fantastic if residents could collaborate to submit non-competing projects. Let us have the debate and decide what we want rather than submitting competing bids and going through the slightly embarrasing voting procedure we witnessed at the are aassembly last year- even better if the Ladder, Gardens and other areas of Harringay could submit something jointly.

(I should explain that the funds are granted on the basis of a vote at the area assembly. All the projects are displayed on boards at a meeting in the Autumn. The voting is carried out by people sticking dots on the boards of the projects they would like to see funds awarded to. All well and good, but last year the voting was restricted to the very small number of residents who attended the meeting. Much worse someone got hold of the sheet of sticky dots and was trying to "fix" the vote - you see what I mean, embarrasing.)

BUT, this is a great initiative and deserves our thoughtful amd whole-hearted support.

There was a lady at the Area Assembly this week who had a good idea about a Harringay Book Festival. I'll throw that into the pot as a starter. If everyone doesn't go for that, fair enough, then I hope at least it might catalyse other ideas. We've got quite a few local artists and other creatives in Harringay....................anything there?

Attatched below.

Tags for Forum Posts: award, council, funding, makingadifference

Views: 96

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A Book Festival is an awesome idea. Perhaps it'll convince a bookseller that Harringay is a place which could sustain a bookstore!

I think this site would actually be an excellent contender for one of these awards. It's brought people from the same area together - I've had real and virtual conversations with people who I'd never have come into contact with had it not been running. I know it doesn't have the 'physical' (perhaps tangible is a better term) presence of something like a dog show or a mural, but in the 21st century this is one of the ways that people connect with each other and with the institutions in their community, and I think even in its first few months of running has shown the massive potential it has for good. (I'm thinking of the way it mobilised people into action against the applications for gambling licences but I'm sure there are other examples.)

The problem is that I don't want to be that supremely annoying person who sits on a committee and says, 'Hey, wouldn't it be great if we carried out this [great but very time-consuming] project?' and then sits back and lets other people do it. So I don't want to suggest any more work for Hugh, who has been doing a sterling job at keeping the site running, getting people's interests piqued with different stories, keeping an eye on developments at the council and lots more. If, though, the council could be convinced to award him some funds retroactively, that would be another matter ...!
Here's the leaflet from last year - out of date, I realise, but it'll give people something of an idea:

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/making_the_difference_leaflet_2007.pdf

Another thought - and this one is purely selfish - is some cycle lockers. Given that people who live in first and second floor flats in converted terraces don't have gardens in which to keep cycles, and the flats are so tiny anyway, it's difficult to find a secure place to keep a cycle that doesn't involve impaling yourself on its handlebars every time you have to squeeze past it in your hallway!

If anyone else would be interested in cycle lockers, or has an opinion on where they could be located, drop me a line.
I just checked with the council. This year there'll be no pdf. They will be putting the information online at the end of next week and providing the facility for people to apply online rather than, as for last year, printing off a pdf, filing it in and sending it back.
Cycle lockers is a great idea if they could be secure and people could entrust bikes to them. There would have to be one per cyclist, as the lockers would constitute the bikes' permanent home at nights, I suppose?

I was also thinking that this site would be a very worthy project. Maybe £10,000 could buy a certain number of hours of news updates / site maintenance over the next year???
Just wondering, how does one become a member of the Area Assembly? I would be interested in joining, as might others I know in the area.

Being a cyclist, I like the bike locker idea, though I wonder how to determine who gets rights to use them? Does anyone know of another area where a scheme like this exists, which might provide a model?

Another worthy venture might be the plans already underway to try to convert the closing-down snooker hall N of the Salisbury into an art studios and exhibitions space. This would certainly provide good seed funding, along with other money being raised.
Anyone can go to the area assembly. If you keep an eye on this site, you'll see when the next meeting is and/or to find out more see Haringey Council's website page on Area Assemblies. I am told that if you email them (via the address on that page) they will put you on a mailing list and keep you up-to-date with meeting dates & content. I think it's fair to say that the meetings are far from perfect. But go along, amke your own mind up.

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out the exact working of "micro-local" democracy for myself. When I think I've got something useful to contribute on it, I will share it on this site.
Thanks Hugh. Sounds like from accounts of last year's grant awarding process, there might indeed be some flaws, but still seems worth checking out. Just wanted to say that the email address on that site doesn't appear to be working (in case anyone else wanted to contact them).

I should also say that I agree that this site is also worthy of the support, especially if efforts are being made (and I'm quite sure they are) to ensure all segments of the local population feel they have access and can contribute to it. Especially if the area assembly meetings are a long way from doing what they should (I'll have to see that for myself).
Thanks Laura.

You're right the email address doesn't work. I've reported it. They're usually quite good at rectifying these errors quite quickly and I expect that it will be fixed by Monday at the latest ( I could always be wrong..........)
Is this a mad idea? They chose a tree planting project last year. What about a greening the streets bid where funding is given to encourage people to plant hedges or easy-to-keep shrubs in their front gardens. It probably does as much, if no more, to make the streets look green and lush.
More on how the projects are chosen. Apparently, there isn't a vote. The blue dots things is an expression of residents' preferences. The Area Assembly uses that information to inform a decision they make.
I've just attached the flyer and application form above.
So, this discussion seemed to die down quite quickly. Have we really no idea how we want to spend multiples of up to ten grand? Or are people keeping their bids secret?

C'mon folks, 10 big ones really can make a difference. No more ideas?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service