Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Like many people I often hurry down a street eyes to the front fixed on reaching my destination. But from time to time, I cast my eyes aloft and, in many London shopping streets the experience is a rewarding one. In apparently unexceptional streets, the best architectural gems are often above ground level.

Last summer I took the time to look around Green Lanes to discover what it had to offer. I photographed my visual odyssey and have just uploaded to results here to the Green Lanes Architectural Detailing album.

To paraphrase Al Gore, it is true that "Green Lanes, you are no Champs Elysees", but there is a real richness to the architectural detailing. Grand Parade is bristling with a few score tympanum, each different from the last. Even the west side of Green Lanes has some gems. And then there's the explosion of late Victorian detailing on the Salisbury.

If you've world enough and time, browse through the album and marvel at the little masterpieces above our heads.

Tags for Forum Posts: architecture, green lanes, photo, visual character

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And, Hugh, maybe add one of two of these to Flickr - including the Haringey Pool - so people from outside the area will have another reason to stroll along - and look up!
Have now done so Alan and I've put a series of montages of these photos in a set at:

Flickr photoset - Architectural Detailing in Green Lanes, Harringay

Since you got me going, I put another few photos on at:

Flickr photoset - Perspectives on Harringay
and
Flickr photoset - Finsbury Park
Slightly further afield I saw the work being done to erect the plastic fascia above the door of the Dixy Fried chicken in Crouch End. Perversely this plastic image of a chicken now covers an Edwardian carved or moulded stone statue of a chicken, announcing what was formerly a butcher's shop.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service