Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Council

Spent a small fortune issuing residents with Black Bins for Food waste

I wonder how many are still being used ?

Especially as users have to buy their own recycling Bags

I can accept recycling of Can / Plastic / cardboard / paper Etc

But taking into account that Our waste is Burnt and used to Generate
power for the Nation

That recycling Food waste can not be that Green or have a good Carbon footprint
Taking into account the time and effort in processing it

Sure I read in a local paper that it was causing some residents near the plant health issues last year

BOB/R

Views: 183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...not to mention the lottery that is the rubbish collection...
The "lovely" Harringey Accord people failed to collect my recycled food AGAIN. Thank god it's not hot....
They DID however, manage to break someone else's bag all over the road, and fail ro even think about cleaning it up. Remind me why we pay so much council tax again?
We use it and fill around three bags a week, as does the fella upstairs. These small black bins are collected with the regular recycling so that part of the process is not adding to the carbon footprint.

We also bought a compost bin from the council two years ago and managed to get a sixty quid bin for fifteen pounds.

It's only a matter of time before strict recycling becomes compulsory so it's probably better to get use to it now and make it part of your daily procedure.

If you don't think it is that green then buy a compast bin yourself at reduce rates:

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/environment_and_transport/refusean...
We bought a compost bin from the council last summer and use it for most of our food waste so that we end up putting only one bag of (cooked) food waste out a week.
The real issue might be that too much food is wasted in this country and that we need to to consider ways of cutting out how much food we throw away. Check out this site for more info

http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/
I have the added bonus of having two living compost eaters, dogs. So very little perishable food goes to waste, in fact it's only leafed salad that they wont eat : )
By the way you can just put your food waste into the bins without a bag (bit nasty perhaps ) I think they just wanted to stop people putting any old plastic bag in them
Have you noticed that the council now allow any compostable bag in the food waste now?
Not supposed to be so - had a big to-do about this recently. Are you saying they take them or that thye've changed their policy?
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/news_and_events/latest_news/new_ha...

This is what they are saying. Was in the People magazine as well
Tres utile, merci.
Both, there was a full page advertisement on this months 'Haringey People', apparently as long as the 'compostable logo is clearly visible on the bag it will be collected, if not then there is a possibility that it may not. Having fallen foul of that rule when food recycling was first introduced I think I may wait a week or two and see how the logo inspectors carry out collections. An amazing turnaround by the council. Mary.
I'll add my praise for the recycling collection crew. Had a friendly exchange with one of them this morning and he even returned my recycling bin directly to me as I stood waiting at the gate!

Haven't yet tried to find the plastic bags with the special logo on them - I'm hoping somewhere other than Tesco or Sainsburys do them - so if anyone reading this has managed to buy them, please could you post and let us all know where.
You have to ask. Some of the shops on Green Lanes do sell them. I think the Ser Aydin shop at the top of Raleigh Rd does but can't be sure.

Ummm... looking at WHAT they allow you to put in the bags (i.e. no bones) I think they're not recycling it, they can just let it decompose somewhere warm and they end up with fertilizer.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service