Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Forgive me if this is not the right forum, I'm not sure where else this fits in. The problem is: We have a "halfway-house" opposite us. This house is basically a short-let bedsit type house. A lot of the rooms are paid for by the council. And the tennants are not vetted in any way before they go in to the house. This has resulted in major disturbances for the properties close to this house, and we have thankfully had the support of the community police when it comes to getting the most troublesome residents moved on. I can't praise them enough!
But the probelm remains, the house is still there, the council still keeps on putting ASBO candidates in there, and we keep on being woken up at night by fights, screaming, police raids, the fire department coming to let some mentally ill person OUT (yes, it's happened a few times) of their room, parties with about 30 people shouting the street at 3 in the morning, the list goes on...
My question is: Does anyone know if we even have a leg to stand on when it comes to getting this house shut down? Any advice appreciated, this really is a major disturbance.
Only last night I wast kept awake around 12:30 am by some man screaming "Ali! LET ME IN" and banging on the door for a good 20 min. Thankfully I was not going to work the next day..
I am really at the end of my tedher, and I realy don't want to move - but with the constant disruptions I am starting to think I'll have to...

Any pointers gratefully received!

Tags for Forum Posts: Noisy Neighbours, hmo.housing, neighbours

Views: 123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One action you might take is to contact your local councillors and see if they can help. THey might have info on wha action is possible or be able to pint you somewhere. Other members may have more immediately useful solutions.

Are you near the river on Seymour?
Thanks Hugh, I'l give that a go.
I'm closer to the passage (another source of grief!) than the river. Know the house I am talking about?
No, 'fraid not. I has just wondered if it was a house on the south side a little north of teh river. There was a real commotion there a few months back.
No, don't know anything about that.
I just came across this littl;e nugget though, and I am owndering if anyone knows if this is correct, and if not, where I can go to get this verified:
Apparently the Ladder is a preservation area, and homes cannot legally be split up. They still are though, because the council are very slow at stopping this. I am hoping this is true, as that would mean the problem house on my road is actually illegal, I think it's got at least 4 bedsits in it - and so should be shut down, as it's technically illegal.

Any feedback very welcome!

Is it the time of year, or is it just you and me on this site? :-D
You are absolutely right. See the Update on Conversion of Flats to Houses on the Ladder post for more details.

You can check if there is any planning permission at Haringey Council - Planning Application Search. If there isn't, you can then challenge the existence of the conversion and the enforcement officers will then be concerned to see if there is any evidence as to whether the conversion has been in existence for more than 4 years. However, as you'll see from the other post, there is an enforcement backlog.

Contact LCSP via this website for more info and support.
Hi again Hugh, thanks for useful info. I have lookind into it, and it seems the application was sent in on 20/10/06, and granted 12/12/06, for a 4 flat conversion.
However, the house was converted long before that. How can this be legal? How can the council give permission in a preservation area?
They're also using it for hostel accommodation, and I do not believe the "scale and intensity of hostel use is appropriate to the size of the building". How about this one: "Where planning permission is granted it will be limited to a period of one year".
I guess this one is my only hope now, as I know this house is used for sheltered accommodation / a hostel.
I'll try LCSP now. Thanks again!
Hi Anette, just wondered if you're still having problems with your neighbours? We are thinking about buying a house on Seymour Road but your post has made me a little nervous.
Hi Emma, the house in question has been dealt with for now, and all has been quiet for a year, I'm happy to say!
Just make sure the nearby houses look nicely kept and don't have too many doorbells and you should be ok..

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service