Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Two-nil to the residents as of last night at 11.30. The Gambling Licensing Committee reinforced their last decision and refused the gambling licence application for 48 Grand Parade. This premises also has a planning application going through the Planning Committee to change the use of the premises from offices to one which permits gambling. So, they may be hit with a double whammy.

However! There is the third gambling licence application on Thursday 20th Dec. This one is for 32-33 Grand Parade and the applicant seems particularly determined, having held a public open-day to try and swing local opinion. They are also coming to the licence hearing armed with a top QC. Bear in mind, if the shop trades it is likely to earn an annual revenue in the low millions. The cost of a QC is peanuts against that.

The second note of caution is that the two refused applicants are likely to appeal to the Magistrate's Court - as will Better if they fail.

If they are unsuccessful at the Magistrate's Court, it is likely that one or more of the applicants will then take their case to the Court of Appeal. Better has done this successfully in the past.

Tags for Forum Posts: 48 grand parade, betting shops, gambling, licensing

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Hugh,
Anything I can do to help stop more betting shops cropping up in our area? If so, please let me know!!
Anette
Good to hear voices of support, Annette. At the moment we have the last of the current three license applications to go, then, most likley, three appeals at the magistrate's court. The deadline fro objections has passed. I'm not sure there's much you can do for the time being apart from making sure that our councillors and MP are kept reminded of residents' views on the subject.

The Council have actually been very supportive. The problem is with the Gambling Act which has taken much discretion away from local authorities.

I will keep this site updated with any developments.
Okay, you just let me know, I'll do whatever!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service