Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

How quickly a year goes by
Yes, word fans, it is time for the annual Words that the Public Sector Should not Use list published by the LGA. The latest list has been taken from the European Union, central government, quangos, regional government, business management speak and
public relations phrases.

Old favourites like holistic, predictors of beaconicity and synergies are still there but there are some truly mind boggling new ones:

• *Wash-up session*
  • *Goldfish bowl facilitated conversation*
  • *Meaningful reusable interactivity*
  • Wellderly
  • *Deep dive* ...which Alan S warned us about last year

Have fun, folks, the full glorious list is here.

Demonstrate your innovative capacity, all comments will be tested for soundness...

Tags for Forum Posts: jargon, plain English

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does the Local Government Association really want local councils to ban: 'collaboration'; 'dialogue'; and 'empowerment'? As well as: 'good practice'; and 'best practice'?

Well, yes. I guess they mean it. How refreshingly honest.

(Labour councillor & prospective candidate Tottenham Hale.)
I don't think they want to ban the concepts but the terms - or am I missing the point?

So we are working together and talking to each other to give people the means to get things done. We are looking for the best way of doing it and learning from the best people. Personally, the plainer the language the more I'm prepared to believe that someone means what they say.

A lot of these words may have begun as words from academia that were about challenging the closed world of power but once those words become part of the language of power then they have effectively neutered them. Listening for example to someone talking about collaboration with regard to small groups taking over parts of council services, it suddenly struck me that he was using the language to hide the fact he was arguing for good old privatisation of parts of the council.
Liz, I was trying to use humour to make a serious point. Failed again.
Of course I agree with using plain English. And discouraging a whole list of bureaubabble words and phrases.

Fine, let's all have a laugh about '360 degree assessment'; 'deep-dive' and other meaningless drivel. I'm happy to poke fun at people - especially politicians - who endlessly 'address' problems. 'Addressing' was how Mr Gladstone communicated to Queen Victoria. We need to 'tackle' and 'solve' problems.

But let's not give in without a fight when bureaucrats, spin-doctors and PR consultants try to take over good words with a long honourable history. Words which describe important and valuable ideas. Don't let right-wing privatisers get away with a grab for 'collaboration' and 'co-operation'. Shout: "hands-off!" if 'partnership' is adopted by the powerful to disguise division of the spoils. And refuse to run away from 'transparency' just because some senior manager really means: "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain".

(Labour councillor & prospective candidate Tottenham Hale.)
No, no I was missing the point. I wasn't sure whether you were being serious.

Of course, we should remember that these words come from a variety of sources, not just Council Land. I ran 'deep-dive' past my businessman hubby last night and he visibly cringed and admitted he was guilty as charged of being found in possession of said expression. A friend who is a senior probation officer was banged to rights for using predictors of beaconicity.

In a room full of other folk who all understand exactly what everyone is deep-diving for then these words can, of course, be a useful shorthand. Some words are, also, as you say Alan useful for all people but we need to interrogate fully the user of the words to ensure that what you mean by say, collaboration, is what they mean by it. We know there are some weasly folk out there that dress up bad old policies in new language and because we think they are using the same terms in the same way as us we don't notice the deception.
HOLISTIC will forever have negative connotations for me. It was used repeatedly by Haringey Council as part of the general bluster to justify the sale of our Charitable Trust's main asset, Alexandra Palace, to a former slum landlord. By "holistic", the council meant to sell-off completely, all in one-go, lock-stock-and-barrel (for a rumoured £1.5m. Only).

The use of that particular word may have been recommended by the Council's expensive PR company, employed to push the sale (Lexington Communications), who doubtless were aware that, at least at one time, it might sound nice for the public. After a while, the PR company's spin-cycle was easily detected, using stock PR phrases like "we feel sure the public will understand that ..." All issued, of course in the name of the delinquent Board of Trustees (100% pure Haringey politicians).

If "holistic" ever sounded warm, fuzzy and New-Age, those meanings are now wholly lost on me.
I have on my wall a letter from the Home Office inviting me to "a workshop to discuss the Communications Approach and Customer Journey for Settlement Protection applicants". The use of capitals brings me almost as much joy as their decision to call refugees fleeing torture "customers"

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service