Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A graphic overview of bombs dropped from 7th October 1940 to 6th June 1941 over the borough of Haringey.

Was it the 1st or 2nd WW that devastated the residences on Fairfax and Falkland Road? on what was to later become Fairland Park, (create a link in this thread.)

If you want to contemplate the importance and relevance of peace, this is the place to realise the affects of just one bomb on a community.

http://www.bombsight.org/explore/greater-london/haringey/

Tags for Forum Posts: bombsight, world war II harringay

Views: 974

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting link.. But devastated ?  Nah, I don't think so.

Fairfax and Falkland received a V1 hit in 1944/45. Tottenham Borough Council built prefabs on the site post war.

My father actually witnessed that one and told stories of how the V1 flew powerless in a semi circle over West Green Road, at Willow Walk and then was suddenly caught in a gust of wind and landed on Fairfax. Once the engine stopped, everyone would pray that the thing would pass over and land on someone else. ***  The V1s carried more explosives than the later V2s, causing more damage. But as the V2s travelled faster the speed of sound, they would only be heard coming after they had exploded.

I'm sure we've previously had some photos posted here of the aftermath of the Fairfax bomb.

*** The V1s flew on a similar South East > North West trajectory, but were subject to wind and weather, which often slightly changed their course. Kent, Surrey & SE London all had far greater amounts of V1 hits, but the prevailing westerly winds, did push the things further north.

Interesting story from your father Stephen! Had no idea V1 bombs did that. I believe about 30 houses/homes were destroyed/damaged as a result of that bomb. 

There have been various bits on Harringay during WWII over the years:

In the History Group

In the forum

In the gallery

You can see from Mark's post in the forum that Harringay was hit on the very first day of the blitz, but we emerged pretty unscathed relative to other areas of London.

Thanks for the links Hugh, I have read some interesting posts on bomb damage over the years by members.

I thought it was timely to consider the repercussions of military action, as it is felt on the ground. Especially when Parliament have voted in favour of intervention.

I was in the Science Museum in the flight section the other day and saw a V1 that was captured at the end of the war. I was stunned at how small it was, and how close I was to a real one...

Not that small;  theladderopenspace.wordpress.com A photo of a V1 at a military museum in Norfolk

Thank you for sharing your families account, do you think there was a target, like factories off West Green Rd or the Railways?

I would estimate 30 houses may have been affected at Fairland's, (looking at the surrounding Victorian footprint, & including the contemporary homes built opposite on Fairfax, if they were also physically affected.)

Does anyone have a firmer figure? house numbers missing may say more.

From accounts of senior residents, glass of many more surrounding homes, would have been blown in, from the explosive force.

We're any plots on Fairland's reclaimed by families afterwards? They seem to have vanished.
1940 must have been a large bombing campaign. After a trip to visit freinds and see the central cycle lanes in action, much of Rotterdam's port area was reduced by air raids.

The Germans pretty much leveled Rotterdam in May 1940 for refusing to surrender quickly enough and to drive the Dutch into surrender (very Genghis Khan!). The bombing has always been controversial as it was seen very much as a 'punishment'/'show of force', and potentially unnecessary as the Dutch had already entered into discussions with the Germans.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service