Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

For those of you who have purchased one of the 1885 Harringay maps you might be intersting in getting it framed, as opposed to let it gather dust rolled up in a corner some place. A couple of us have been doing some reasearch to find the best price (collectively) to get the maps framed.

If you are interested, see below and let me know if you are intersted.

I went to 2 framers. One on York Way, the other in Hackney. Karen visited 2 in Crouch End.

Karen Crouch End 1

• £175 for the large map

Karen Crouch End 2- Carters Glass on Crouch End Hill

• Ray, quoted £135 for framing the large Harringay Park map (I don't know the dimensions of the smaller one)
  • He said that if there were 3 or more people wanted frames done he would do them for £100 each
  • I assume the smaller ones would be cheaper (JG)

Jus York Way

• See Images below. I looked at 2 different frame types, a gloss black with straight edges, about a cm or more deep. The other was the same dimensions, but a more mat grey slate with champhered (spelling?) edges (which I liked more to be honest)
  • The 2 different styles came at slightly different prices, these are a collective prices assuming that we on this circulation list all go for the framing together, so as such they are the discounted price- he may go further if there are others interested.
    • Black. Large. £ 80     Small. £50
    • Slate Grey. Large. £90   Small. £56

Jus Hackney

• I have to say I liked this guy a lot more than the York Way guy, who was (frankly) surly!
    • See Images below.
    • The large map apparently needs a bigger frame to take the weight of the glass I was quoted £230 each for this. If we had 6 there would be a 20% discount. You can see the thickness of the frame in one of the images above, it was about 2.5+ cm wide. This was not mentioned by the guy in York Way! FYI
    • Small maps would be £90 each. Again, if we had 6 he would do them at a 20% discount

Fitting. The maps would be fitted to the wall using 2 straps (ie, a metal plate is fixed into the frame, and there are 2 hooks that hang off screws that would be left protruding from the wall when you put them in- no wire.

Conclusion- as things stand I think the best option is the York Way framers. I suspect we will all have to go for the same style, he was a bit funny when I suggested that some might want one style, and others a different style. So. As a starter for 10 please let me know what your initial reaction is and lets se if we can get a consensus. For me, I preferred the champhered slate grey frame, but would be equally happy with the black!

My proposal is to get agreement, have you bring your map to me by an agreed date (in the NY) and I will take them all down and then collect them when done, and have you come pick them up from me at that point. I would appreciate the cash for the framing before I take the maps to be framed, but that element I can deal with at the right moment.

Tags for Forum Posts: 1885 harringay map, 1885 harringay map framing, picture framer

Views: 195

Reply to This

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service