Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I've just discovered that as a result of voluntary withdrawals of stock it now seems nigh on impossible to buy incandescent 100w light bulbs. Unfortunately many stores also seem to fail to carry low energy equivalents. 60w incandescents and their low energy equivalents are freely in stock. Is it only me who wants the brighter bulbs?

Views: 95

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Last time I was down there, Ryness on Googe Street were still selling 100W incandescents.

It looks like yet another crazy EU directive - low energy lamps are more expensive to produce, are slow to reach full output, give rotten light, interfere with radios, and contain unpleasant chemicals so have to be disposed of at some cost.

What is wrong with incandescents ? They give off heat, which is not lost but warms up our homes.

Stock up on 60Ws now before they're banned too.
As you would image, I disagree wholeheartedly with your comment.. Sounds like Dinosaurs barking to me..

They give off heat, which is not lost but warms up our homes.

Unfortunately they do that in summer too! As I can testify from my bed side lamp which heats up my bedroom every night.. oh and BTW, I think they said the same about candles..
I can live with the phasing out of incandescents, but what struck me as odd was that none of the outlets I've visited over the past couple of weeks had low energy equivalents.
That's probably because they want to get rid of their old stock before ordering new - and when you need a bulb, 60 is better than nowt..

But honestly. I really don't know what the fuss is about - we've known this was coming for yonks.. just because the politicians are on holiday and there is no other news.. It's just the same old mob EU bashing again..

and speaking for myself, I haven't needed to buy a proper light bulb for ages.. and anyway the new ones are also available with warm tones, last even longer - so what's the problem?
Why not get a fitting that will take two 60W bulbs ? :-)
No one's EU bashing Steve. Off the soap-box!

The problem, let's call it frustration, is that I'd like a 100w or equivalent and can't get one in the shops right now. Not a big deal. I thought I might not be the only one not fully up to speed on this.
Yes it's the poor availability of low energy 100-watt equivalents in value packs that gets me incandescent with light rage.
@Hugh EU bashing? - Agree, at least not from you...

but I did read above ^^

It looks like YET ANOTHER crazy EU directive

Unqualified comments like that make me incandescent with rage too.. You can't have 'a single market' without the same rules all over.. Means: you can't ban 100W bulbs in one EU country and not in another..

And those who carry on this silly anti EU stuff should realise that the other 26 EU countries are the UK's biggest export market.. If the UK were to opt out and then wanted to continue to trade - it would still have to abide by/implement the same rules (like Norway & Switzerland have to) without being able to influence them.

And back to light bulbs - We don't have any 100W bulbs here either.. they sold out quite a while ago..
Tiny bit dimmer than what Hugh's after I think James!
so what michael if it lasts 100 years !
And, as The Telegraph reports, any laggard shops still selling incandescents after September 1st may get reported by shoppers.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service