Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Does anyone else get gangs of men hanging around outside their houses drinking and eating?
I don't know if this is some kind of cultural thing, but I have noted lots of east European men (not teenagers) lurking around having loud conversations while sitting on people's front walls in the 'Gay. It is threatening and they leave litter.
Has anyone else had this happen to them and how do you get them to go away without starting a neighbourhood feud?
Jesus, Harringay makes you NIMBY.

Views: 243

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So click here!
And you think some of those problems are not prevalent on the posh side of the tracks. There is litter there too you know, maybe not on the scale of Grande Parade.

There's nout wrong with trying to improve an area but to retain character and history.

I use to rent a flat in Crouch End and I had more problems there with anti social youths, racist remarks, rodents and there was little community spirit.

Give me Hazza anytime, if thee conna hack ett, geet ite : )
Being educated and a 30-something professional does not make drinking beer on the bus any more acceptable.

anti social behaviour is not limited to young people with cr*p jobs.
Drinking outside of a pub and home environment is not anti social in my opinion, if so then maybe you could point the police to all those enjoying a glass of wine in Hyde Park and Hampstead Heath, which is no different to those enjoying a beer in Finsbury Park or walking down the street in Harringay. What is anti social is the litter that some people cause after enjoying what they are drinking or eating.

Let's not get too snobby about this issue.
Absolutely!
i disagree.

i think drinking beer on the bus is completely anti social under any circumstance. in fact, id extend that to drinking on any form of public transport.

the park is a different matter altogether, because it is a chill out space. as long as you dont get rowdy and throw your litter away, its okay in that context.
You will have to explain this a little better. I'm not a fan of drinking on public transport but that's mostly because I worry about needing to visit the gents. Being drunk on public transport is bad, but not drinking. If I fly on a plane.... they give me all the booze I can handle (actually, not all of them "give" it to me).
There is nothing worse than getting on to a hot crowded bus and getting stuck next to the guy with the open can/bottle in his hand and beer breath.
(some people think kebabs dont smell and arent messy too). its just not nice. and you have to wonder why people cant go a few minutes without a drink. just start drinking when you get off!
Someone coming from a night out will still have beer breath, ban them!

So yes, you can extend your ban to coffee, food, bad breath, people with body odour and people stinking of over pungent perfume. The buses would be empty, excellent idea.
I think it's actually illegal now, or is that only on the tube?

I have enjoyed a beer on a bus or tube, although I don't now, because I need a pee too quickly! I would not certainly look down on someone for enjoying a beer.

We need to have the freedoms to do what we wish within the law and within the respect other around us and not to be constantly told what we can and cannot do.

Can you explain why drinking (not rolling round drunk) on a bus is anti social, I having difficulty in understanding your opposition. Is drinking a coffee or a can of Coke the same?

We won't be able to eat a sandwich whilst walking next!
Why would you want to be eating a sandwich while walking? What a sure fired road to indigestion hell!
I'm not sure why anyone needs to eat while in transit. ..unless you are very very very hungry I suppose.
At the risk of being accused of being an old misery guts (so what's new?) I'm with you Rahman. Don't swill warm canned beer on the bus yah cheapskates, save your pennies and have a nice handpulled ale in a pleasant hostelry. Food and alcohol should be a pleasure not just fuel. Right I'll stand back now and wait for B2 to lambast me for being a snob. Ah well, snobs aren't always wrong.
No Liz,

It's all about reasonable choice and freedom. I would not want anyone to stop eating a meat butty on a bus, why because it doesn't fit in with what I want? Not everyone can afford three pound a pint Liz so buy cheap cans, is that so wrong? There are a few guys who drink at the bottom of my street and in the shop fronts of some of the shops, why would it bother me? It only bothers me when, and if they drop their litter, smash bottles or hurl on the pavement. I do not begrudge people smoking outside the cafés when I walk past, I just hold my breath.

I have grabbed a croissant from the well HOL advertised place on GL and legged it for the bus, because I could and that's my choice.

As long as people are courteous, it doesn't bother me. I have more of a problem with the wild body odour that flows down the 29 bus than some bloke supping on warm can of cheap grog.

Unfortunately it is a snobby attitude in my opinion, if we eradicated everything that people wanted to rid of in this area, it would be dull, sterile and cultureless.

Should anyone begrudge living in Harringay, I am sure there are places fifty minutes up the train line into Hertfordshire that offers a nice Barratt home in your price range, with a WI and a local bobby.
This is inner (ish) city life; it is like this in every city across this country.

I welcome every effort to make Harringay a more pleasurable place for everyone but we do not need to change to core buzz of the place. There are hundreds of cultures and lifestyles in this area from every economic background, let’s concentrate on real issues and stop trying to mould it into something that’s it’s not.

Whatever happened to good old tolerance?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service