Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Local History (See History Group for main postings) (472)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

The Hornsey Revolution, 1968

The former Hornsey College of Art on Crouch End Hill (Photo: Unknown) On May 28, 1968, students occupied Hornsey College of Art on Crouch…

Started by Hugh

12 Dec 6, 2014
Reply by Finsbury Park Ranger

Barter's Spawn Invade Harringay

What a week; first we had odd lights in the sky. Now we discover that at some point in our past, Harringay was the chosen landing site for…

Started by Hugh

0 Dec 1, 2014

Bring back the Inspector of Nuisances!

The language of modern local government lacks the poetry of late Victorian civic government. Take that hero of the street, the enforcement…

Started by Liz

5 Nov 28, 2014
Reply by Gordon T

When the North Middlesex was our Local WWI Military Hospital

Looking for something on the web recently, I stumbled across a number of references to our local WWI military hospital. Given the topicalit…

Started by Hugh

2 Nov 21, 2014
Reply by Ruth

Do you have memorabilia to contribute to Bruce Castle Museum's People’s War: Haringey 1914-1918 exhibition?

People’s War: Haringey 1914-1918 5 November 2014-29 March 2015 Marking the centenary of the beginning of the First World War. If you have y…

Started by Liz

1 Nov 4, 2014
Reply by Old-Age-Emporium(OAE)

Weird Tales from West Green

As the nights draw in and Halloween approaches, who doesn't enjoy a tale of the supernatural?  If you haven't yet read them, why not try th…

Started by Liz

0 Oct 29, 2014

Declare yourselves space rangers! Who played Quasar at Ducketts Common?

As I was based in Leicester in 1992 when this picture was taken, my Quasar playing memories are from that part of the world. Happy carefr…

Started by Liz

6 Oct 10, 2014
Reply by somefriendly

Modern Harringay vs 100 years ago - comparing maps

Apologies if this has been posted before and I missed it, but the wonderful folk behind the Mapping London project have a nice piece about…

Started by Alison P

7 Sep 14, 2014
Reply by Hugh

As war breaks out, the impact on the local area is immediately felt by residents

"Where are the Germans?"  a 65 year old labourer from Edmonton was reported to have asked the constable waking him from a drunken sleep, th…

Started by Liz

0 Sep 5, 2014

Lolly nostalgia

Which one* takes you back to the corner shop? *the Lord Toffingham

Started by Liz

3 Sep 4, 2014
Reply by Alison P

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service