The Model Traffic Area was opened in July 1938. It was the first of its kind in England and it aimed to help children develop their knowledge of road safety.
It was a very popular facility up to the late 1960’s. During the 1970s and 1980s, lack of investment and neglect resulted in a serious decline in its usage.
In 1992 the council undertook a restoration but not to the previous standard enjoyed.
In 2010 Tottenham residents were instrumental in sourcing a considerable injection of funds from the Lottery, Haringey Council and the Mayor. Some went towards restoring the Model Traffic Area. Its streets were repaired, its pavements relaid and a set of modern road signs added to bring the site into the 21st century. There are no permanent traffic lights, but a portable set can be wheeled out when community groups use the upgraded network to teach cycle proficiency.
Add a Comment