Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Rosebery Terrace - Tottenham Lane before the Y

This image was shot on Tottenham Lane just south of the junction with Rosebery Gardens. On the left are the last two shops of Topsfield Parade* before the break for Rosebery Gardens. To the north of the turning is a terrace of seven houses called Rosebery Terrace on the site where the YMCA extension was to be built. Beyond that, you can just see Manor Cottages, Holy Innocents Church and in the distance the tower of the electricity station.

On the right are the last few shops in Broadway Parade. Beyond them the tress still shade the pavement in front of Lightcliffe House and where the pavement bulges out was Alresford Lodge.

In about 1923 Numbers 1 to 7 Rosebery Terrace were renamed as 198 through 186 Tottenham Lane (with the lower numbers to the north). In 1928 a a new YMCA building was built as number 184, directly to their north. It was opened on May 11th, 1929 by Queen Victoria's elderly seventh son, the Duke of Connaught. Rosebery Terrace survived until the War and was damaged beyond repair when a bomb fell on and destroyed the Plaza cinema opposite. in the 1950s, the site was used for an extension to the YMCA. Part funded by an appeal launched by the Mayor of Hornsey, the extension was constructed in 1958 and in use by 1959.

*When it was first completed in 1895, the row of eleven shops between Elder Avenue and Rosebery Gardens was called Belmont Terrace. In 1900, the Belmont name was dropped and it was incorporated into the Topsfield Parade address run.

Views: 309

Tags (All lower case. Use " " for multiple word tags): roseberry terrace, tottenham lane, ymca
Albums: Historical Images of Crouch End | 1 of 2 (F)

Comment by Hugh on January 1, 2024 at 14:00

Updated with text added below the picture. 

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Harringay online to add comments!

Join Harringay online


© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service