All that now remains of St Mary's Church just to the west of the corner Hornsey High Street and Church Lane is the old church tower. The church it belonged to was medieval, and was probably completed around 1500. This building, apart from the tower, was demolished in 1927.
In 1888/9, right on the corner of Church Lane, a larger Victorian church was built on the plot next to the old church to serve the growing Victorian suburb. The old tower was retained to house the bells because the new church had no tower.
In 1968 the Victorian church was also demolished as it was considered too expensive to repair, and St Mary’s Infant School was built on its site.
Add a Comment