Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Park Chapel was opened in 1855 on Crouch Hill, opposite Haringey Park. The chapel and its halls formed a popular social centre, accommodating Hornsey British school until 1877. In 1974 the Chapel amalgamated with Ferme Park Baptist Church to form Union Church, Crouch End.

It was split in two halves; one continuing as a traditional church, the other a creative studio that has been through a number of ventures since the 1980s.

In the beginning of the 1980s, two animators, Bob Bura and John Hardwick bought the building. In 1982 they rented out the church room upstairs to Dave Stewart and Annie Lennox of the Eurythmics. As the popularity and success of the Eurythmics increased, they purchased the building and recorded much of their catalogue there. Other artists recorded there including Bob Dylan, Radiohead, Robert Plant, Elvis Costello and Depeche Mode.

In 2004, singer-songwriter David Gray acquired the studio. Gray recorded four of his studio albums at The Church Studios. After ten years, Gray moved on and the studio was sold to music producer Paul Epworth.

This outline of the history of Haringey Park provides more background on the church and its first pastor.

Views: 202

Tags (All lower case. Use " " for multiple word tags): crouch hill
Albums: Historical Images of Crouch End | 2 of 2

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Harringay online to add comments!

Join Harringay online


© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service