Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The new Hope and Anchor stands on Tottenham Lane almost opposite Montague Road. The current building was built in around 1890. This picture shows the original building. Penny Farthings became defunct soon after John Dunlop created the first practical pneumatic tyre in 1887. So I think a date of circa 1885 is a safe bet.

Views: 220

Tags (All lower case. Use " " for multiple word tags): tottenham lane
Albums: Historical Images of Hornsey | 1 of 2 (F)

Comment by Richard Woods on October 21, 2016 at 15:23

Super picture. This pub has two memories for me from the 50s and 60s (not that building of course!). But there is a fair chance that my first (illegal) pint was bought in the Hope one my way home from Stationers' Company's School (yes it did make me apostomanic) on a day in December, 1959 - it would have been my last ever day at the school and I recall having a pint (I was six foot 16 year old) there. And then, when working at the Hornsey Journal (161 Tottenham Lane) I would occasionally call in on the way home in the 60s. Nice to see it still functioning.

Comment by Richard Woods on October 21, 2016 at 15:24

BTW, noting the copper, I wonder if the cop shop was already in 1885 just down the road in Hornsey High Street?

Comment by Richard Woods on October 21, 2016 at 15:27

Looking here, if your date is right and it looks good, the landlord was George Oakman

Comment by Hugh on October 21, 2016 at 16:14

Thanks Richard.

Comment by Martin brown on October 22, 2016 at 21:26
The present Hope was my home in the 50's. My stepfather Bill Pullen was the landlord there for many years. His son John was in the same class as Colin Chapman, the founder of Lotus cars. We all attended Stationers.
Comment by Richard Woods on October 23, 2016 at 12:05

Links... my brother Mike was at Stationers same time as Chapman; when I joined the Hornsey Journal Lotus were still in Tottenham Lane and I did a feature on them with a (very brief!) interview with Chapman. So brief that I do not recall it actually went in the paper!