Opened in 1904, Mayes Hall was an 'Evangelitsic Mission' Services Hall on the corner of Mayes Road and Hornsey Park Road. The long side of the hall ran along Hornsey Park Road, the entrance was on Mayes Road.
During the construction of the Shopping City the course of Mayes Road was altered and the site of this building is now part of the Shopping City building and grounds. See the image below showing and old OS map (black & white) overlaid with a modern Open Street Map (in colour).
The founder of the mission was a gentleman by the name of Charles Russel Hurditch. Wikitree gives the following mini-bio on him:
Charles Russel Hurditch was a firebrand of the Great Awakening movement. The founding director of the Evangelistic Mission in London England was born in January 1840 in Exeter, Devon, his father, William, was 35 and his mother, Deborah, was 34. He had two sons and four daughters with Mary Holmes between 1866 and 1877. Trained as a perfumer, was born again and was active in the Stafford Rooms off Edgeware Road , one of the new YMCA Centres . A powerful preacher and evangelist , who spoke across the denominational landscape He died on August 25, 1908, at the age of 68.
He is pictured below in 1889.
(Original photo from Clifford Raven via Peep O'Daze)
Add a Comment