In 1857 the Royal Masonic School for Boys, for the sons of deceased and needy Freemasons, was founded on this site in the former Lordship Lodge on an estate of 10 acres. Originally catering for 70 boys, the old house was replaced in 1865 by a substantial Gothic building with accommodation for 200.
In 1898 the site was sold to the Home and Colonial School Society, which opened a Training College for Schoolmistresses in 1904. This ran until 1930 when the site was sold to the Tottenham District Gas Company, and the building renamed Woodall House after its chairman, Sir Colbert Woodall.It later became the offices of Eastern Gas until 1974 when the site was acquired by Haringey Council.
The building was modernised and became the Wood Green Crown Court and Remand Centre with the rest of the site developed for housing. The building was struck by arson in c1989 and promptly rebuilt with a new and very assertive roof.
(Text Courtesy Wikipedia)
Add a Comment
© 2023 Created by Hugh. Powered by
And here's another image of the same: