At the time Gillespie Road tube station was built, it served a residential area and a local divinity college. In 1913, Arsenal Football Club moved to Highbury on the site of the college's playing fields, and the club's presence there eventually led to a campaign for a change of name. Arsenal football club were particularly on the change. On 31 October 1932 it was renamed Arsenal (Highbury Hill). The station was expanded in the 1930s, with the original station building demolished and being replaced with a wider building of a more modern design.
It is interesting to compare this renamimg with another nearby renaming along the same lines, just 12 years later (see penultimate paragraph).
Add a Comment