Photos of the schools in Mattison/Pemberton Road, past and present.
South Harringay council school opened in 1904.
It consisted of a building with 600 places for junior mixed pupils and another for 300 infants, on a site between Mattison and Pemberton roads which also housed new higher elementary and special instruction schools.
After 1919 the accommodation was for only 400 juniors and 240 infants, until reorganization in 1934 created a junior mixed and infants’ school for 340, senior girls used the old higher elementary school block facing Pemberton Road.
When the senior girls moved into Hornsey grammar school in 1952, their block was occupied by some of the juniors, who shared their own building with the infants.
In 1974 the infants took over the Pemberton Road block, leaving the juniors the whole of the old junior school and part of the original infants’ school. There were 339 children on the roll of the junior school in 1976 and 263 on that of the infants’ in 1975
Source: British History Online
Follow the work of the PSA via Lucy's blog
Add a Comment