Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I never really knew much about the theatre at Ally Pally, well I didn't know anything really - till I was contacted this evening about a forthcoming bring and buy sale to raise funds to help save it.

I've done a bit of digging around and have come up with the following:

Although the theatre is large, it forms a relatively small part of the entire Palace complex, whose history is not traced in this entry. It is not known whether Johnson had assistance with the design of the theatre, but the evidence of the building itself suggests that it was the work of someone with little previous experience of theatre design. Its history has been depressing. It was an abject commercial failure in the decades when theatre business generally was at its most profitable. The theatre, last used as a television scene store, now looks abandoned. It is completely embedded in the Palace complex.

Although it has one external wall, its separate identity is not discernible in the long north elevation of the Palace. The auditorium is extraordinary - more like a big music hall or concert hall than a theatre; a great rectangular room with raked floor, the long sides now occupied by low enclosed corridors (presumably inserted to improve means of escape) which give the impression of side slips. There is a single balcony, facing and far distant from the stage and there was originally a second, upper balcony, now removed. The present appearance of the room probably owes more to Macqueen Pope, who ordered the 1922 alterations, than to Johnson. Coarse plaster ornament of two periods, the bolder work on the ceiling not unpleasing. Figure sculpture, probably original, in niches either side of the proscenium. The existing, faded 'toy theatre' colour scheme, although not original, is highly evocative.

The most interesting survival is the stage, designed for elaborate transformations. It has a fine complex of wooden machinery both below stage and in the fly tower, all in restorable condition. A primitive set of scene grooves from this theatre is now in the possession of the Museum of London. The auditorium is one of the oldest now surviving in London; archaeologically of rare interest but intractable as a theatre. It would make a splendid concert room or large cabaret restaurant, if there was ever call for such an enterprise in N22.

The future, if it has one, must lie with music and variety, rather than drama. Alternatively, the auditorium might be reconstructed in a more intimate and usable form and the stage restored as a spectacular working exhibit for public enjoyment.
It's in a terrible state - all rather sad:

The good news is that there's a small friends group fighting to save the theatre before its too late. See here for more info.

Views: 102

Replies to This Discussion

Well done Hugh in publicising this.

Like most people in Haringey, I have never been inside this theatre because its closed to the public and has been allowed to deteriorate by our delinquent council. I only became aware of it since I have been a part of the Save Ally Pally campaign. One of the most important historic parts of the Palace, it is situated in the East wing and separated from world's first television studios by the ice rink.

Like the studios (again, closed to the public), I understand the Victorian theatre is in a woeful state.

What an indictment of 28 years of council stewardship. Instead of putting right these gems of history, our council has prioritised huge and wasteful expenditure on, for example, a certain big arts centre in Tottenham which is largely unused. Should that be sold off – perhaps to the council's erstwhile "preferred development partner" for Alexandra Palace, Firoka, with the proceeds put towards the Theatre?
email to ita o'donovan and clairekober
Mesdames
I understand that the theatre in the Palace has been allowed to deteriorate to an extent where it is now no longer usable, despite its attaraction as a fine example of its date and type. What is it with Haringey you have to let anything fall into total disrepair before fixing it. Have you not heard of preventive maintenance? HornseyTown Hall is another example, as apparently are social services.
Please show just a little foresight.
Regards

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service