Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

HOL Flower Show - June (aka. what's good in your garden *now*)

Last month was a great success - thanks for all the contributions.

5 days into June and the sun has started shining - last month's pyracantha flowers are completely gone and the Allium is down to (still rather attractive) seed heads. So what is looking good now in June...

Kniphofia - there are six 'pokers' this year compared to last year's one. The flower must be very tasty as snails and ants seem to be feasting on some of the smaller/lower ones.

Fatsia Japonica - was looking a bit tired a month ago but now masses of fresh green growth...

Red Valerian (Centranthus) - commonly seen growing out of sunny walls, this might be suitable for the harsh conditions of a Harringay front garden...

Tags for Forum Posts: holflowershow

Views: 559

Replies to This Discussion

Not sure I've ever seen a poppy like that - I usually get a few (especially if the soil has been disturbed) but not this year and not with frilly bits.
I think I'll have to investigate astrantia - they look great.
Reply by Alison P on June 25, 2008 at 1:29pm (Copied in with smaller files)

First poppy out this week. Have never planted a single one - they just seem to waft in from nowhere and luckily survive my haphazard weeding. This one is amazing - the photo doesn't really do its frilliness justice.

And these are astrantia - couple of years old and have now formed a fantastic clump.

Just to get us off the cats!

The only new things I can add for June are these irises. I bought them a few months ago and it turned out they like bogs (which my garden certainly ain't). So I planted them in a pot with very poor drainage and they seem to be doing okay. Very delicate, and a gorgeous blue/purple colour.

In bud:

In flower:

How far behind are folks' gardens this year? Mine's definitely a good few weeks delayed.

Here are a couple of pics from yesterday. A Kashmiri Geranium and a my huge Marie Boisselot clematis.

(Click pics to enlarge and restore the colour which the smaller version on the page below seems to strip out.)

I've just looked up at my Banana plant which I thought would not survive our winter.....and what do I see? Its in flower!!! Amazing
Great pic, but a huge file. To help save on our storage space and make it easier for folks with slow connections to see, we're swapping your version for a slimmer one, below:

Bananas in Harringay. You're kidding! That's incredible.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service