Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

HOL Flower Show - June (aka. what's good in your garden *now*)

Last month was a great success - thanks for all the contributions.

5 days into June and the sun has started shining - last month's pyracantha flowers are completely gone and the Allium is down to (still rather attractive) seed heads. So what is looking good now in June...

Kniphofia - there are six 'pokers' this year compared to last year's one. The flower must be very tasty as snails and ants seem to be feasting on some of the smaller/lower ones.

Fatsia Japonica - was looking a bit tired a month ago but now masses of fresh green growth...

Red Valerian (Centranthus) - commonly seen growing out of sunny walls, this might be suitable for the harsh conditions of a Harringay front garden...

Tags for Forum Posts: holflowershow

Views: 559

Replies to This Discussion

The first two pics need no introduction

but I've forgotten what this is, any one help me?

Sticking my neck out here, but is it a hebe variety?
Looks hebe-ish to me also.
No. 1 looks rather nice - forgive my ignorance - can you introduce me?
Well you could say I was cheating here (as I think I put pictures of these up in May), but they are looking fabulous at the moment in my humble opinion ..

Foxgloves. Is there a more wonderful flower? I planted a couple about four years back and now every May/June they just take over. You just have to avoid being over-zealous in your weeding (hey, so difficult I know).

And this is Allium Christophii (or something similarly spelt). Last for ages (my other Allium have long since gone).

Mmm.....as spring tumbles into summer my garden gets increasingly architectural these days (something I keep meaning to remedy but never seem to get round to).

So we have:

Dicentra against Cotinius

Alchemia Mollis (Why is it always covered with dewdrops?)

And a big ole Cardoon (apparently the Victorians used to love using them in the kitchen as an alternative to celery).

Oh yes, I was going to add one more:

Acanthus

Hugh

Tell me - does your acanthus get devoured by slugs and snails?

I think frm your photo you have A.spinosa (sp?). I've got A.mollis and it is under constant attack. Was wondering whether having a more spiny leaved version might help ward off our slimy friends...
Slugs and snails seem to have zero interest in it, which is a blessed relief after fighting the buggers off so much else. They love the cardoon and unless you're prepared to fight them off it, forget having one.

Hypericum 'Hidcote' - first flower emerging this morning...
Not strictly speaking in my garden but my neighbours' gardens have them.
Name for me please, real gardeners
Flower, Warham Front garden

You really started something when you told me what the flower button on my camera was for, AJ
Nice - I believe this is Callistemon ('bottle brush' flower)? I didn't think it was very hardy - has it been out all winter?
There are a couple in my neighbours' south facing front gardens and they seem to do just fine, no one seems to do much to them. They are a lovely splash of colour.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service