Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

HOL Flower Show - May (aka. what's good in your garden *now*)

As this is the season of flower shows, it seems only appropriate for Harringay Online to make its own contribution. I'm thinking of something online, free and local rather than some other flower shows.... also it being a repository of flowers/shrubs/trees that people can grow locally without necessarily having a greenhouse or a degree in horticulture.

These are the guidelines I'm thinking of:
- Flowers/shrubs/trees grown in Harringay. All my stuff is fairly hardy, so doesn't require constant attention or worrying about frost but don't let that limit contributions from experts.
- No judges, silver gilt awards etc. If you like it that's good enough.

I am by no means an expert so I am looking for ideas as much as anyone else!

Here are three from my garden this morning to start things off:

Pyracantha - an absolute mass of flowers at the moment so popular with the bees. Also very robust - foxes might destroy some plants but the spines on this chap are quite a deterrent. Arguably its best display comes later in the year though.

Nigella (Love-in-a-mist) - just noticed the first one yesterday opening. An interesting/unusual flower and very easy to grow - buy one packet and it will self-seed all over the place in subsequent years.

Allium. I think this one is 'gigantea' (it is quite big...). These chaps have been out a week or two now - fairly long-lasting and extremely easy to grow.

I'm intending to start a thread with something for each month of the year, though Dec/Jan could be challenging...

Tags for Forum Posts: HOLFlowerShow

Views: 645

Replies to This Discussion

Great idea.
Give me something to take pics of instead of old sofas! Like it. Doubt my camera can achieve the close ups yours does though
Has it got a 'macro' button (usually a little flower symbol)?
yes
In that case, we'll be watching this space...!
Your pyracantha is incredible. I had a mass of berries last year. So far this year I have one flower! I guess it exhausted itself last autumn.
I trust your garden is south facing. If it's not please be kind and lie. I have pyracantha envy. Will photo and post my efforts shortly.
My garden is north facing too but I'll do my best.
I never knew what that button was for, AJ!
Sorry - north facing... though that particular plant does get a fair amount of sun. I believe pyracanthas a pretty shade-tolerant?
How come my Allium isn't out like that, then?
Is it the same type as that? I have 3 types (as far as I can remember, the bulbs went in 2-3 years ago) and these guys are the first to show - the others will be out in a few weeks...
Bless you AJ for pointing out the little flower button. I have had such fun this morning

The clematis is the loveliest thing in my garden at the moment, everything else is just green!

This pineapple sage is always flowering

and the bees love the purple sage.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service