Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

What plants thrive in your garden? What fail?

My garden is north facing but gets sun at the top for a good part of the day. My successes include:

Aquilegia (now growing everywhere like a weed). Classic cottage garden plant. Very pretty when it flowers and quite attractive leaves.

Euphorbia robbiae. One of a few plants that like dry shade. I like these plants but I know they are not everyone’s favourite. Great foliage and strange green flowers. I have to be careful or this plant could take over my garden. I’ve also had good luck with Euphorbia mellifera and various others in the family.

Dahlias. First time last year, made every mistake in the book (didn’t stake properly, didn’t protect against slugs etc etc) but they were gorgeous when they flowered. Will definitely try again.

Hellebores. I love these plants. Mine aren't that old but seem to have started off very well. Beautiful flowers when not much else is happening (ie: now).

Daphne odora automarginala. Stunning plant - lovely leaves, small pink flowers in Jan/Feb with a heavenly scent. I've got this in partial shade and it seems to be doing fine.

Disasters:

I only have one rose (gertrude jekyll – sp? – only a few years old) and last year it was a disaster. But I’m told last year was generally pretty bad for roses so I’ll see how it copes this year. How do others do with roses?

I’ve not had much luck with Lavender, probably not surprising as my garden is north facing. Have given up with this now.

These are for starters, I’m sure I’ll think of more!

Views: 275

Replies to This Discussion

We also have a north facing garden and so our lawn dies off all the time (but I like a bit o'grass so we persevere). We also have two plums and a pear tree which give a lot of shade so ferns are pretty successful.
we planned the garden (at this point I admit we did get professional help) to both attract bees and butterflies and to use, as much as possible, native species as they are supposed to attract the right insect life and as a consequence bird life.
On the whole it has worked. We get lovely spring flowers from the bulbs and some beautiful blooms that look like giant chives that the bees love.

Lavender did not work very well in the back garden.Have you thought of putting it in the front garden? The south facing aspect is positively mediterranean and so we started a herb garden at the front which smells nice, doesn't need much work and provides food for the pot. Only the thyme seems to be struggling for space. (And the local grandmas help themselves to mint from time to time)
Good point, I do grow lavender in the front garden, but only in pots (all concreted over unfortunately, one of these days will tacklet that).

Couple more successes I've thought of - foxgloves. Gorgeous but obviously have to be careful with kids. And ferns have done pretty well too.
If you want to keep your lawn alive and don't mind if it's not entirely made of grass, try planting some white or suckling clover with it. If you mow it then the leaves of the clover will become smaller and smaller as the plant gets more dense and prostrate. When the grass is yellowing from drought the clover will stay green for ages and it also helps provide vital nutrients to the lawn.

K
Oh, and as for roses, plant alliums near them. Roses seem to love anything oniony. There are lots of ornamental alliums available if you don't want to grow garlic or onions in the sam place which, admittedly, might be a bit bothersome. You can use waste onion skin as a mulch for roses and also old tea-leaves seem to do wonders. Parsley is another good companion plant for roses, as are asparagus and tomatos which all fight off each others soil pests.

K
I tend to go for hardy plants (in terms of temperature and ability to withstand foxes/squirrels) that don't require too much maintenance so my 'best' probably won't be much of a surprise.
Good - Sedums, Euphorbia Wulfenii (the Purpereum variety doesn't do so well though), Pyracantha (masses of berries which then get eaten by pigeons), Pittosporum, Berberis, Cornus, Choisya, Cotinus, Phormium.
Cosmos daisies (annual) were great last year. Verbena Bonariensis is pretty good but doesn't self seed like people say (unfortunately, probably north facing garden?).
Not so good - Ceanothus, Crocosmia (underwhelming for me), Hemerocallis, Crocus (eaten by squirrels), Lavender (north-facing garden?).
BTW warning - Rhus typhina looks great and grows very happily, *too* happily - unfortunately it is extremely difficult to control (and kill) so avoid like the plague (like Hugh's bamboo).
Funny - I've had lots of verbena self-seeding. Mind you, usually in sandy grit between paving slabs rather than in the borders where it would be more useful!

Thanks for tip on Rhus. I think these are such gorgeous and odd looking trees - I so wanted to plant one, til I read about their suckering tendency...
For shady places, try clematis. Planted 5 last spring and they are very nice. Even Camellias are doing well in shade/partial shade.

Rhododendrons are difficult, I've one doing well, but they are not easy plants.

Not north facing, Gazanias. I planted this year (bought from Crocus Homebase for £10 about 80) and they are amazing. Probably they need lass rainy weather to be better.

Other plants that it's doing well in y arden is Osteospermum, three years and still alive. I even cut back twice and no problems. But they could suffer if the winter gets too cold.
Clematis aren't tough - but be sure to plant deep then they'll be pretty hardy. Rhodedenrons need an ericaceous soil. You can help by getting an ericaceous compost but if you just plant them in clay with a little ericaceous soil around a young root ball they'll find the going tough.
Rhodedenrons, so far so good with my one. I used a lot of specific long lasting fertiliser, but forgot to use the right compost before planting it.

Anyway, it's doing fine. Let see next year.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service