Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Zena Brabazon Selected as Labour Candidate for Harringay By-Election

At a local Labour party meeting this evening, former St Ann's councillor Zena Brabazon has been selected to stand for Labour in the forthcoming by-election.

Views: 1851

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I heard that it's 100 to more than 300. Is that right? I also challenge anyone to tell me that this isn't because of Jeremy Corbyn. The establishment really have the knives out for him at the moment and really don't want him responding to the delayed Chilcot Report. It must be tough passing nasty, shitty legislation when the guy across the despatch box from you is Jeremy Corbyn too.

Hi All

I don't live in the ward but live within 15 minutes walk as I always have done. When I was selected I lived on Noel Park Estate, after I was elected a few months later I moved to St Ann's ward. I now live in Hornsey ward. It's about understanding the area and the people you are seeking to represent. Zena has that in bucket loads, she is Haringey through and through and grew up in this part of London in Stamford Hill. I know there is not a corner of this borough she doesn't know inside out because that comes from being outward looking. My mum lived in Harringay ward in the 1970s but many of my generation would never be able to afford to live here unless it's a HMO. We all come from different perspectives on representation and income and where you live must never be a barrier. The Labour Party insists and it's in our rules that a candidate for a council seat MUST live in the borough. We are the only party that does that. The other political parties are allowed to stand candidates within their rules who don't. Local government rules are wider around working and owning businesses. Labour rules are much tighter.

All fair points Emina.

I had a flyer about Gareth Morgan a couple of days ago;  his family also had to move from Harringay due to housing costs and another child on the way.

Also when a candidate stands their address appears on submitted nomination papers available on council website. It's transparent

Except when ( allegedly ) a candidate uses their work address.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service