Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

London mayoral elections are on May 5th. Zac Goldsmith has come out for voting to leave the EU. Sadiq Khan has decided he'd like to see the UK stay within the EU. A clear dividing line between these two candidates. 

With the EU vote the following month this issue could end up being the deciding factor between the two candidates. Difficult to say how Londoners feel about the EU but probably more than anywhere else within the UK (apart from Scotland) the majority of the city's inhabitants are for staying within the European Union.

If this is the case then Sadiq is our next mayor ... unless voters (who bother to turn up at their polling station) think other issues will loom larger in their minds as they enter the polling booths. 

Views: 966

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The U.K. is pretty much on course I'd say..  Countries that share a currency rarely, if never, go to war with each other.

It all boils down to whether a country and it's people feel superior to others. The U.K. with it's 'Special Agreement' obviously considers itself way above the rest.  The country has never tried to make anything out of it's membership of the EU. Could have tried to shape it from inside, but prefered to go down the road of scapegoating.

So yes, after seeing Cameron's agreement, I think it's time for you to go. It's not what I want. I would prefer an open relationship with the U.K. but it's obviously not posssible. The sooner the better. 

Whether it's public transport, health systems, standard of living, healthy living, democratic voting systems, we acheive more than you. What the U.K. acheives well is in spying on people, surveillance, spin, consumerism, charging higher prices for most things and shafting the poorest in society.. I'm seriously happy to be on the other side.

I get asked to show my passport when I come into Holyhead from Dublin.

PRESS RELEASE

Issued by: Justin Hinchcliffe of 178 Walpole Road, London N17, in a personal capacity 
Embargo: Immediate  (20/02/2016)

Opinion in both Conservative and Labour parties, like the country at large, is divided on whether Britain should remain in the EU or leave it. For this reason, David Cameron has ruled that the Conservative Party machine must remain neutral in this referendum, with no party resources spent on either the Remain or Leave campaigns. If party members or staff wish to campaign for either side, they must do so in their own time and at their own expense.  

But Tottenham residents may be interested to know that all the officers elected to Tottenham Conservatives' Executive Committee at its AGM last week are personal supporters of Britain remaining in the EU. Justin Hinchcliffe said: "While I cannot claim that such unanimity exists in every Conservative Association, it seems that party members in Tottenham and London generally find compelling the benefits of Britain remaining in a reformed Europe, with the extra safeguards secured by the Prime Minister's negotiations. Consumer and environmental protection, the single market and continued influence over the policies of the world's largest trading bloc are all good reasons for Britain to vote 'Remain'. "

Justin Hinchcliffe added: "On this matter at least, I look forward to normal hostilities being suspended, and to working with members all mainstream parties, other local residents and campaigning groups like Haringey in Europe, founded by LibDem Jenni Hollis, to persuade Tottenham folk of the benefits of staying and the risks of leaving. Let's all work together to ensure that Haringey has one of the biggest 'Remain' votes anywhere in the country."

At last week's AGM in Tottenham Hale, the following people were elected to the local branch Executive: Cansoy Elmaz (Chairman), Justin Hinchcliffe (Deputy Chairman), Stefan Mrozinski (President), The Lord Balfe (Vice-President), David Allen (Treasurer), Annie Poopola and Caesar Lalobo (Open Place) and Janet Harris (Women's Committee). All wish to be associated with this press release and have approved it.

ENDS

Does that mean all the above named will be voting for Sadiq for mayor then? Could hardly vote for Zac ...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service