Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

THIS morning, two calls from the windows problem scam operation, probably from overseas.

The first gentlemen, with an Indian accent, introduced himself as Michael from Microsoft technical support and he informed me I had a problem (a virus?) with my "Windows"  computer (I've used nothing but Macs for 21 years and would not dream of owning, using or endorsing an operating system made by Microsoft).

"I know its a scam, goodbye!" and I put down the phone immediately.

A minute later, his colleague rang, also with an Indian accent. "Mr Carter?"

I instantly replied, "Is this another attempt to convince me there's a problem with my computer?!"

The line immediately went dead. Funny that.

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The 'Windows' chap who usually tries it on with me is invariably called Sam from somewhere east of Bangalore. His phone never works long enough to amount to hassle. I assure him I'm OK for double glazing but if he'd like to clean my windows by remote control I might be able to find a rupee or two. My windows problem persists - they're still dirty. 

Eddie, as an aside, Microsoft (which name is okay because its a made-up name) ought never to have been allowed a trademark on the (generic) name windows, for the reasons that are clear from your post (or still grubby as the case may be). But true to form M$ kept plugging away and eventually were (mistakenly in my view) awarded that trademark.

I for one can think of other more apposite and descriptive names for their collection of peecee operating systems, but this is a family website.

Just tell them you don't have a computer. It's quite fun to hear them stutter and try to think about something else to say. Or scream in to the receiver. As loud as you can. They'll never call back, as they've probably gone to sort their eardrums out.

Sick, but fun. And hey, they called you, not the other way around..

I like to keep them on the phone for as long as possible before telling them that I know it's a scam and I'm not interested. 

The longer I keep them on the phone the less time they have to call other people.

Having just had ANOTHER of these I'm going to make up an effects tape a la Goons, so it will go like this -

Him : could you switch on your computer

Me:     OK

Tape: sound of footsteps on wooden floor receding into the distance

sound of creaky door

more footsteps disappearing further into the distance

sound of key in door

creaky door

long pause

creaky door

sound of key in door

sound of distant footsteps approaching

creaky door