Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Whether you are a regular at Railway Fields local nature reserve or have never ventured up the cobbled path (or have never even heard of it), the Friends of Railway Fields are keen to hear your views.

We'd like to find out how often you visit Railway Fields, the reasons you visit (or don't visit) and the types of activities that might interest you. If you could let us know by sparing a moment to complete this short survey we'd be really grateful. The feedback will give us useful information and help us plan future activities and events.

Your views are welcome whether or not you are already aware of the Friends group or Railway Fields itself. There are nine questions (mostly multi-choice) so it should just take a few minutes to complete.

Many thanks from the Friends.

Tags for Forum Posts: Railway Fields

Views: 863

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll complete this tonight, but I'd like to say publicly, the reason why my family do not use it is because it isn't open at the weekend. This is a little daft considering many of us with children work during the week when it is open. I've heard the argument (correct me if I'm wrong) is because it's a nature reserve and you don't want too many people spoiling the place - a little selfish in my opinion.

Hi Nicholas, it would be great if you could do the survey - much appreciated. This is exactly the sort of feedback we need to help us target our activities and it's useful to hear people's perceptions.

As Nick and Lizzy says, Railway Fields is open at least one Saturday a month. This is when the Friends (a group of local volunteers) meet up to do conservation work and hold events (and from next year, do family arts activities), but people are welcome to just come in and enjoy the space. You'll find dates on our website http://friendsofrailwayfields.wordpress.com/

It's not as often as we'd like - one of the aims of the Friends group is to encourage more people to visit RF. What makes the place special is that it is a managed nature reserve and therefore home to a rich variety of wildlife, so we're always conscious of that - but the issue about weekend access is more to do with resources and staff/volunteer time.

OK, the selfish comment was a little harsh, my apologies. I have completed the survey, but my interest is less in the activities (though I am sure they will be great once my daughter is a little older) but just the opportunity to enjoy a slice of nature locally without having to drive to Highgate Wood or the Heath on a weekend.

I'll look out for open Saturday's on your website.

It is a shame its not open more in the weekend.

It's not just volunteer availability is it? I'd heard the council pay TCV to run the site but the contract doesn't require weekend opening, is that true?

Anyway, it sounds like the friends group are aware of the problem - the survey questions are asking specifically about weekend opening and how to make it easier to visit.

I've never heard that as a reason Nicholas - I'd always been under the impression it was to do with getting volunteers to be on site. It can't really open without someone there, which seems fair enough.

I've done the survey. I used to visit a lot but rarely make it now as I'm working in the week. A lovely place though! I will look out for the Saturdays you are open.
Nicholas, its not my place to correct you, BUT a) the reserve is open one Saturday a month for the Friends Activities. Watch this space- more family friendly arts activities are being planned for 2014!!! (b not sure where you heard the 'spoiling it thing' and again not qualified to say otherwise but I think its more complicated than this and not simply selfish.
Ps Next Friends of RF is this Sat- you are VERY welcome.
PPS Sorry to jabber on but there is also an event on 7th December, tree dressing. If you go to that the information on the Family Wildlife arts sessions for Jan 2014 onwards will be available.

I always wanted to check it out, but in my 9 years on the Ladder I never managed to as I have to work for a living, and it's closed on the week-end. It seems to be the main comment on here. 

maybe re-jig your resources so that you can keep it open when people would want to use it? Might increase your funding too. Just a though. As it is, it seems to be for a select few who don't work during the week, which is a shame. 

I went once with my children and was completely put off by how secluded and creepy it was. There was nobody about except a couple of seedy looking people, it didn't look like they were there enjoying nature...I stayed about two minutes and left.

It's a good local resource, Gillespie park and ecology centre in Highbury seems less hidden away and there are more people about.

Done! It's a lovely place to take children and there's been a lot of work done in the last couple of years, making little hollows and places for children to hide. 

Bethany  - if you try after school (maybe not in the winter) you should find quite a lot of people around. It can feel a bit unsettling when you're there on your own but worth persevering. 

It's a shame to see a local resource under utilised, maybe some PR and marketing might help. People obviously don't know when it's open or the best time of day to visit. If I knew there were definitely going to be other people there with children maybe I'd go.

But I'm not sure I want to persevere without knowing its safe, a bit like when I went to Chestnuts park the other day...there was human feaces in the playground and toilet, I won't be going back in a hurry.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service