Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

.....two come along at once.

So what have we done to deserve this?

Harringay Market is being reborn this week based at the Kurdish Centre in the Gardens, then  a week later a new market is opening up in Harringay Market's first home.  

Let's not even mention another exciting foodie arrival due in the hood in the coming months.

Views: 11240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it was Jessica who didn't want  the " craftier " stalls. There was a lady who sold candles and second -hand books but she was told she wasn't welcome. A pity, because that's all I ever bought there but Jessica wanted it to be a purely food market 

Get a grip people. We have a zillion kebab shops and a zillion grocers shops and a zillion barbers. We are going to have two markets. Stop being tw@s.

Welcome Random Ranter, I see you joined specially to add to this debate and it's nice to see some comment from the 11-18 age bracket. 

I am however somewhat alarmed at your choice of example. Coca Cola. really? backatcha with Nestle brother. (google it)

see i can speak the lingo even when biting. 

What a clever one you are! I might just have chosen the 11-18 margin to confuse you all. Nevermind. I just want Harringay to exist in peace. Let's just see how it goes, and give the markets a chance, eh? Oh and Lauren, I agree. Kebab shops galore.

I might reveal my identity when this fad has blown over.

~Someone~

I guess time will tell, but I wonder if the area is too small to support two markets? Especially taking into consideration that during the winter months, less people turned up... 

I guess what I really wonder is why the school is doing it on the same day and pretty much at the same time as the Harringay Market? Even if they at least did a different day that would seem to make more sense.

Hopefully they will explain their logic soon, as to why it's the same day and time, and why they have kept it so secretive.

I don't know any of the background to this, and am sorry it has become so heated so quickly.

But personally I don't think the market for a market around here is sufficient for two to thrive and flourish. In terms of the comparison with kebab shops, cafes etc - yes, they open and some really don't last very long before they close (and many do so, quite quickly). Their success depends on how much people want what they are selling - and that's the thing I'm not sure about here.

I'd love both to do well, and could imagine going to both - but I'm sceptical we will have two in a year's time.

If the Widow (L)ickoringill's family at the Queen's Head had to like it or lump it when Harringay's NewBuild brought competition from Salisbury and Beaconsfield, and if the Vicars of St Paul's and St Peter's had to tussle for their Ladder congregations with the Primitive Methodists of Mattison Road, all open for business at the same hours of a Sunday, more or less, why the hell should a Meat Market expect to have a Sunday Monopoly just because it jumped prematurely and fell awkwardly between two stools, or schools for that matter?

Let a thousand blossoms bloom, or wither on the vine, say I.

All this bitterness from the "old market" camp will probably just drive more folks towards the "new market".

Probably not doing Jessica and her market any favours at all really, all this negativity.

I hope the markets will successfully co-exist, if not then may the best market win...

I checked on the Chestnuts Market on the day I posted this and the person behind it told me that it is not yet a confirmed project. So we'll have to wait and see where that one goes.

where is this supposed to happen? Chestnuts Primary?

Yes. So, seeing as the 'secret' is out:

Excellent. Even closer to home! 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service