Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

.....two come along at once.

So what have we done to deserve this?

Harringay Market is being reborn this week based at the Kurdish Centre in the Gardens, then  a week later a new market is opening up in Harringay Market's first home.  

Let's not even mention another exciting foodie arrival due in the hood in the coming months.

Views: 11240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Or more correctly- what did Harringay Market do to deserve this?

So, let me get this straight. We already had an interesting and well supported market, and when it was forced to close (I gather due to resurfacing at South H school)- the original school that first hosted it decided to secretly plan to open their own with a very similar style, on exactly the same site the Harringay Market started on, on *exactly the same day and general times each week just when the original market who struggled to find a venue is being reopened*

This is silly, we're unlikely to be able to support 2 markets- and frankly I think morally it stinks. 

I have no inside info on this, so please correct me if i'm wrong- just seems to me that if Harringay Market (original) were aware of the schools plans it might have made a significant impact on their decision to reopen and where. Since they were open about searching for a new location and looking at local sites I feel sure they *must* have approached the school to ask about returning there. (but again, correct me if i'm wrong).

I feel so sad for their traders being put in this position. really really unfair, particularly from a school which is supposed to be 'part of our community'. The school do have the right to refuse to host the market- but if the venue is unsuitable for Harringay Market to return what is the motive for doing it themselves- what are offering the community that isn't already on offer within the existing market? If its the location, then basically it's theft of the original idea for the school's profit. 

Today's lesson from North Harringay School is : Yes, we're part of the community but if we can make a bit more money out of it directly we'll undercut local initiatives ourselves if given the opportunity (and we won't be open about it either).

I gather from twitter that 'North Harringay Primary are very excited to be opening up our new weekly Sunday market.... see you soon!' 

Come on North H school- take back the original and established market and give us something which doesn't leave a bad taste in the mouth..

cross. time for a cup of tea and back to work for me. grr. 

This all seems a bit harsh on the school. Jessica herself says here in this thread that she is the one that doesn't want to go back to NHPS because it is too far from the gardens. 

http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/harringay-market-needs-...

Falkland Rd market will also be well placed to provide for some customers from Noel Park market which I think has now closed.  

I'm happy to have the new market for those of us up north! 

Agree. I'll go to one at North Harringay, where I wouldn't if it was a lot further south. I pretty much gave up on it after it moved as it was a trek and there seemed to be fewer things I wanted to buy.

Jessica asked if the market could come back to NHP but the school said no the play ground was being used for something else. As sparkle says in the previous post at that point they should have been more open about what they were planning. There also seems to have been some misleading going on of people within the school about the plans. I really would like someone behind this NHP market to come out and explain what happened and what they're doing because AFAICT the whole thing stinks, I'm ashamed to be involved with the school with it behaving like this.

Agreed!!! Also it looked like Harringay Market was gone for good, so Falkland road market might have been established to fill in the gap. All we can do is speculate!

No speculation necessary. Ant has said quite clearly that Jessica asked NHP to return and they declined, so I'm guessing that is the explanation for why she said it wasn't an option. 

She was open about intending to reopen Harringay market once a new location was found. 

As a former governor for several years (at a south and a mid-Tottenham Primary School) I know the hard work put in - as volunteers - by many governors over many years.

I'm not saying governors and headteachers always get things right. But if people disagreed with our decisions and plans, I'd want to hear from them.

Has anyone asked North Harringay Primary School Governing Body for their view?

My goodness, I've read some nonsense on this thread! Why is it that when a new coffee & cake shop opens on GL, it is enthusiastically branded 'a welcome addition to the area', yet the introduction of a second market is slammed as underhanded? Ridiculous! I think we are very lucky to have the 'choice' of two markets and opening times makes it possible to visit both if you wish. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Falkland Road Market has to offer; I'm based on Seymour Road so it is lovely to have one on my doorstep once again. The very best of luck to them both!
Sorry Sandi I managed to delete my reply but as I had said, thank you for putting this in to perspective. You said everything I was thinking!!!
No worries, you're welcome Sue!

I personally think that you are all being a bit rude and very biased. Give them a chance.

Why is wanting to open a market so socially unacceptable, so horrible and so ignorant? Come on guys! We can all get along in peace!

What's wrong with keeping the market a secret for a while? If you put the advertisements out too early, people will eventually forget about the Market and move on. To be honest, Harringay Market turned into more of a food hall, with craftier stalls eventually just not showing up. I also found that although very tasty, a lot of the food was quite overpriced.

I don't quite get how opening a market is not being good for the community. If Coca Cola makes a new drink, they aren't endangering every single other company and ensuring that their profits crash to the ground. There's just a little competition. Who doesn't like that?

E.g. Jam in a jar opened. Ok? Bun n a Bar opened. Ok? Nobody is saying about how rude and unacceptable they are. Take Turkish restaurants on Green Lanes. I know I like a selection.

Survival of the fittest.

Bite on that, Jessica's fanbase.

~Someone~

Who are you? Why is this turning into "Jessica's fanbase" vs. "Random Anonymous Ranters that Matt can turn out"? I'm personally surprised I didn't hear more about this beforehand, I guess it was kept from me because I'm a big mouth. Surely a new market would want publicity, unless it was a pointed surprise attack on another market.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service