Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

My son and I heard and spotted a woodpecker at work near the river in Finsbury Park today. Never seen one before!

Tags for Forum Posts: wildlife, woodpecker

Views: 1198

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What a fantastic photograph,love it. More please. Itake it you dont have squirrel problems!

Oh, but I do have a squirrel problem.

hahaha - those wily critters.  You've got to commend them though for the lengths they go to access bird (ahem squirrel) food.  Did you know you can get grey squirrel meat from Budgens in Crouch End!!!

Oh heck, how about making the wire longer than the squirrels body? Then, putting loads of vaseline on it so he cant get a grip!

We thought it was longer than a squirrel. And note the CD that was supposed to stop them walking along the line. Some it did, but not this one. She's (and that's pretty obvious) got a leg either side of the disc.

When I was over in the States last year I bought a squirrel bungee feeder. When the squirrel jumps onto the food he/she gets a bungee ride! It needs a little adapting though as it's meant to hold corn on the cob so I'm going to fit some fishing weights to it to balance it out. Hmm, maybe I'll put a bucket of water under it?

Sounds good!!  I have a friend that tried the RSPB variety of bungee squirrel buster

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/p/BirdFeeders/Squirrel_Buster_Mini_bird...

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I saw a greater spotted woodpecker on the tree in the next door garden on Sunday.  I have only ever seen this once before but we hear them in the summer along the Gospel Oak to Barking railway.

Fab photo by the way.

I have seen a greater spotted woodpecker in my garden but not for about ten years. My garden backs onto the railway line not far from Harringay Green Lanes station.

Last year in the snow I counted 10 different species of bird in my garden - this year only 4!

Hi Jenny - mine too - we are almost neighbours.  Listen to the pecking in the trees and go down there with binoculars.  I am surprised you only have 4 species in your garden - or was that only in the snow.  I regularly have 10.  I feed them with RSPB sunflower seeds and also fat balls. Do you hear tawny owls at night?  They are quite frequent.

Hi Kamila

Will get my binoculars out. I sleep at the front of the house & have never heard the owls. Good to know they are there

Yes it was in the snow. I am feeding with a seed mix - loved by blue tits and great tits - and coconut halves filled with fat - but these keep being stolen by foxes and squirrels! I sometimes put a seed mix on the ground too. Have the fat ball feeder but no fat balls at the moment and used to supply peanuts and even niger seed - used to have occasional visits from goldfinches.

Recently I haven't seen any wrens, dunnock or green finches which used to be around. I haven't been aware of thrushes either who have visited in the past. Blackbirds, robins, blue tits and great tits are here all the time. Need to stock up on bird food supplies.

Which birds visit you?

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

I have great tits, blue tits and long-tailed tits.  I have greenfinches, including young 'uns that were bred in the trees next door, before they were cut down!  Also numerous chaffinches, some goldfinches come about 3 times a week (when I am looking!).  I have a dunnock and blackbirds and woodpigeons (and squirrels) beneath the feeder clearing up. Also a robin in the trees, a couple of crows drinking out of the pond and starlings and the occasional magpie. No thrushes except very very occasionally - maybe once a year and no sparrows.  I think the reason I have all the chaffinches is that I use the RSPB no mess sunflower seed and the finches really love this.  Oh and I occassionally hear wrens, and in the summer lots of blackcaps on the railway trees.  Last year they bred in the derelict garden next year and I saw them.

Kamila

I have great tits too.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service