Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Does anyone have any wooden pallets they want to get rid of?

I'm looking for a specific kind, they look like this:

measurements 100cmx120cm15cm

Views: 1324

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was wondering about that. I'm not growing anything edible so hopefully not so much of an issue, I'm also treating the pallets with water repellent preserver, so wasn't going to use a plastic liner. There's a lot written about it online, do you know if the chemicals are any worse than the ones found in a wooden planter or sleepers?

Whilst on the subject, no they are not worst than what you'd find with sleepers.  Many end up Creosote'ing their pallets if using for fencing.  Adding plastic will help that bit more, the wood treated and exposed to the open will last longer than the wood under ground that's prone to root more quickly, make sure all your submerged posts are covered in plastic, otherwise you're fence will soon go wonky, then collapse.  The majority of today's pallets a form of pine, so not an hardwood like some of the old ones were.  It's far too expensive to use hard woods that often take longer the grow as well. 

The three most common treatments for railway sleepers:
1) TAR & CREOSOTE -
used for over 150 years to lengthen life of timber
2) ACQ / Tannalised - latest 'environmentally friendly' pressure treatments
3) UNTREATED -
some hardwoods are naturally longlasting, & untreated

DEADLY or DIVINE? Rumours SPREAD!
IS THERE A HEALTH PROBLEM WITH TAR & CREOSOTE ?
Are railway sleepers safe? Scarey newspaper articles ! Will sleepers be banned !

1 MINUTE VERSION ... for those in a hurry to get into their gardens !
From June 30th 2003 EEC and British law ruled that:
Used Creosoted railway sleepers COULD continue to be sold & used safely with some exceptions and guidelines:
**They should NOT be used where there is a risk of frequent skin contact, (e.g.schools, play areas, benches etc..) **They should NOT be used where where they may come into contact with food stuffs, (e.g. picnic tables)
**They should NOT be used inside buildings. (e.g. fireplaces)
There was NO PROBLEM with USED UNTREATED railway sleepers, NEW untreated or ACQ tannalised sleepers
So, to sum up... Don't use creosoted sleepers around children, food, or inside
Don't sit on them, eat off them, or put them indoors! HANDLE with GLOVES

So there you have it ... Get out there and plant!  - Source: http://www.kilgraney.com/railway%20sleeper%20treatments.htm.. .. ...... ...

No I hadn't seen that, looks good. I'll post some pictures when I've finished. The watering problem had already occurred to me, I've already bought plastic tubing. Hopefully it will work!

Well done, you're one step ahead, but good to have the info discussed as it helps others no of these probs...

If you are using Sempervivum and Sedum plants like in Nicholas's photo below you won't need to water them. We have quite a collection of them and if you water them they just rot. All the advice we have had says not to water them, they will thrive outside in the UK in all but the very dryest summer and even then should only be given a little water from below every few weeks.

Warning - growing these little plants very quickly becomes addictive! We have over 40 varieties at the moment!

They're like the body of a cactus, yet without the needles!

I want to try doing this with a pallet.

What a palletable idea!  This looks like a work of art, as I'm sure yours will be a masterpiece!

This is similar to what I'm doing with my fence. In fact it's how I came up with the Idea, but on a larger scale. I'm definitely going to make these too, I'm really looking forward to next summer!

They're like the body of a cactus, yet without the needles!

The image above (from Backwoods Home Magazine) shows how the removal of some of the boards from each pallet can help you make a pallet fence that doesn't look like its made from a line of pallets. The spare timber can be used in other projects.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service