Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Does anyone have any wooden pallets they want to get rid of?

I'm looking for a specific kind, they look like this:

measurements 100cmx120cm15cm

Views: 1324

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Love it! Great idea, yeah and in plenty more areas, as funny enough I walked about two miles today, then bought a bite to drink and eat, hoping to walk along and find a seat, there were none!

Watch out everyone, as if all the old tyres aren't enough soon there'll be old pallets everywhere too

Here's a wonderful 'tyre mountain! Just hidden away in the country and out of sight from the rest of us, for if people new the true extent of all these car tyres, that will still be here in hundreds of years from now!!

Not a pallatable idea!

Making use of waste is very big business - not often highlighted either. It makes cents to recycle.

Very big business! There can be little argument against the necessity of sustainable projects that help save our land-fills and the burning off of precious wooden pallets into the atmosphere and reducing the blightening of our planet of car tyres, and no matter how many we may be capable of actually re-salvaging; it's the only way to go...

I saw the tyre roofing on your website, how are the tyres processed to make the shingles. Where can I buy them?
Looks really interesting...Unfortunately my two small children barely give me time to finish my own projects. I'm building a vertical garden fence which is why I need so many pallets. Maybe in the future...

Here you can buy some; http://www.recycled-plastics.co.uk/enviro-products.php?categories_i...

Here's more techo stuff on trials and other types

http://www.wastexchange.co.uk/documenti/tyres/TYR3-001_Tyre_rubber_...

No probs, sounds like you're busy enough.  Besides, we starting off in the Redbridge area, though should have a workshop opening in Islington, and then Hackney.  Let's hope we can get one in the Harringay area some day soon!

Thanks for that, can you post when you have your workshops open in Isligton and Hackney. Where does your organisation get its pallets?

We source them all over the place, there's many variants, some much better than others.

We've loads of info on our website   - We shall indeed let others know about developments of the other boroughs we hope to get workshops in.

A vertical garden fence? I guess you've already seen this post http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/does-anyone-want-a-wood... ?

Making a whole fence sounds like a great idea. We had one pallet this year and it was great for growing strawberries; puts them nice and high up away from pests. I plan to redo it next year because watering the plants was tricky without washing away too much soil. I'm planning on putting some plastic tubing down in the soil with some holes drilled in it so that I can  pour water in the top to water the roots of the plants lower down.

Great idea, however, make sure they are chemical free, as they can kill your crops, - if making planters out of them, line the insides with heavy duty garden bags, so as you're keeping the soil away from the direct surface of the wood.  Mind you, I'm sure there's a pro-plastic pallet scaremongering agenda - and wonder who that might benefit from such sales, as it's hardly an eco-friendly alternative!!     It's more the case that some pallets are treated to keep bugs and insects from wanting to form nests and lay eggs that are then transported over the world.  And that's another thing to consider when wanting to transform an old pallet into something new.  Make sure your sweep hard and well, hoover it even better, as most pallets are stored outside and in the elements, all kinds of creepy-crawllies take refuge in such snug places and corners...and so was I if I were a spider! 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service