Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Does anyone know whether there were any cafe or restaurants in wood green high road during the war years?   Or in Myddleton Road.  

Thank you

Julia

Views: 841

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting question. May I enquire why you're asking it?

I am writing a novel based in Wood Green.  I spent my childhood there - lived in Nightingale Road.

You've written of your interest in a cafe in the High Road or Myddleton Road. So, are you trying to recall a particular cafe that you remember? If so, can you say any more about it?

I was born in the 1950s the novel is set during the second world war -  just wondered if you had any idea or where I could research this.  I know there was a Lyons Tea House -  I know all about Barton's I remember Mum telling me it was burnt down.   Did Bartons.have a restaurant inside.  I was thinking about a more affordable place than these two.  A working man's breakfast place.

Going by the 1943 phone directory, the nearest Lyons to Wood Green during the war was on Seven Sisters Road. Do you have information that suggests otherwise? There were three other "refreshment room"s. one "coffee room" and one "dining room" on the High Road and one "cafe" on Myddleton Road. I can give you the names, but I don't know what any of them was like. 

PS: You may find these threads of interest.

Can you please send me the name of the one in Myddleton Road.    I have used the term caf without the 'e' what were they called? Probably just the name of the place.

Thank you so much 

Julia

Charles DuFaur ran a cafe at number 73, listed as Chas DuFaur Cafe. I can confirm that he was doing so in 1939. but I don't have confirmation of how long it lasted. 

There was a cafe in between where Wood Green library is currently located and Morrisons in the early 50s. It was nearer the library and close to a furniture shop. I know this because my mum worked in the cafe. My father worked in the furniture shop. He worked with two other sales people, all men and all with thinning hair-to a greater or lesser extent. They called themselves: going, going, gone. My father used to have lunch in the cafe. One day my mum served him and spilt the soup on him. Their future began. 

In the wars years, as per the request, B.F. Barber Refreshment Rooms was at 4 The Broadway which was 4 shops north of the railway bridge. Or, at 11 The Broadway, a bit further north, was John Stanley Playle. 

Lyons in Wood Green High Road near the old Key Market store first supermarket in Wood Green. I worked at Lyons as a child cleaning tables.

Lyons was roughly opposite where Boots entrance in high road is today.

First appears in the phone book in 1954 at 100 High Road. So, if only we could see it properly, it's in this 1961 photo right next to the Co-op, opposite Mayes Road. (Zoomed excerpt below).

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service