Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Here's 'behaviour change' with a vengeance!

A woman was fined over £900 last week for dropping a cigarette on the pavement and failing to pay her penalty notice.

Cllr Nilgun Canver, Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods,said:

"People seem to think it's ok to drop cigarette butts in the street. Well it's not ok. It costs the council a lot of money to sweep up this litter and I hope this fine will make people think twice before throwing a butt away in future."

On Thursday the 5th of August Haringey Council Enforcement Officers spotted Kristina Djemal of 13 Charmwood Road, Enfield, throwing away a cigarette in Wood Green High Road and making no attempt to pick it up.

The officers were in the middle a litter patrol exercise with local police at the time.

Djemal was advised that dropping the cigarette was a littering offence and issued her with a fixed penalty notice of £75.  

Despite reminder letters being sent, the fixed penalty notice was not paid, and the case was referred for prosecution.

Although Djemal failed to turn up at court on December 1st, Tottenham Magistrates found her guilty of littering and she was fined £525.00, with full costs of £382.00. A collection order was also granted, providing for bailiffs to visit the home to collect the money.

Tags for Forum Posts: litter

Views: 717

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If that is a serious question, then the answer is that there was no "dictation" by anybody. There was a free vote (no Party whips) in the House of Commons and there was a majority of well over 200 for smokefree legislation. That's what representative democracy means. Live with it.

Or more polemically, who are you to "dictate" illness to others by blowing smoke in their faces in their place of work?

I'm just against Social engineering..

Really? Like "social engineering" that makes it against the law to rob people in the street? Or "social engineering" that makes it against the law to drive on the wrong side of the road? Or "social engineering" that makes it against the law to discriminate against people because of their race? Or just "social engineering" that stops you blowing smoke in the faces of bar workers?

Yes  And it protects employees in particular from the effects of other people's smoke. And it encourages people to quit. Sounds like Social enginnering to me

I too am opposed social engineering, especially what is termed political correctness. I think Steven you confuse social engineering with measures taken to protect Public Health. That isn't really a concept difficult to understand.

Those who suffered the most under the old regime were bar staff in pubs, especially. When I started work in the City one winter, I could not believe the fuggy stench in the dealing room, with no ventilation. In a confined space, this behaviour literally stinks.

If Ian was part of the move that tends to protect the public from smoking and to encourage nicotine addicts to give up, he can indeed hold his head high. The legislation didn't come soon enough, although the delay may have led to enough of a shift in public opinion so as to ensure the measures have a very wide measure of support and compliance.

My only comment about the drive to encourage smokers to give up, is that there seems to be a gentleman's agreement or quid pro quo between govt. and the tobacco lobby, that if they accept this situation in the UK, they will face no censure for peddling their deadly products in the third world where public health measure are more backward.

well lets look at the bigger picture, your government totally approves of its voters smoking and getting lung cancer and other smoking related illnesses. do you agree with that Harringey? they have approved this due to the high revenue it generates, where does all this cash go?after a google search i find "For the tax year 2004/05, The UK government received over £122 billion in tax revenue. 7% came from Tobacco so roughly 8.54 billion pounds a year" that was 5 years ago when cigs were about £5.50 for 20, ive seen them in shop next to Moorgate tube for £7!! SHOW ME THE MONEY!!
what about a Health Act 2011 which involves the destruction of Burger king, McDonalds and every chicken shop in the land? less litter so ban takeaways, lung cancer, obesity, its all the same health risk so what are you waiting for? ban chocolate, ban sugar, ban ban ban ban, if the crazy expense grabbing politicians have their way, my sarcasm could be realism! they just do what they want anyway and will never listen to the people!

cigs are bad so why are they legal? LSD was legal once as was opium and weed, but 5 mins worth of research and they are class A banned!! fags! well as well as having no mind altering benefits,tasting like shit and giving you cancer they are still happily stacked on our shelves..hmmm, is that the march of hypocrisy i hear?

Pat, to make this really simple: You smoking next to me and potentially blowing smoke in my face does directly impact on my health. You being fat (not saying YOU are!) next to me does not, as you'll keep your blubber to yourself, it won't go in my lungs. Different thing. You dropping your greasy chicken wrapper or your cig butt where I live does affect me, as I have to wade through your litter. I don't care how much tax the government put on your fags, I still don't want to see them on my street, it's littering, and it's antisocial. And how anyone can turn that around to "social engineering" is just completely weird!

Anette, do you ever have those thoughts when you are polluting other peoples (pedestrians and cyclists) lungs whilst sitting in your car pumping out all that muck which also makes my windows dirty?

Not anti car or anti smoking, just a bit of perspective. We all do anti social stuff, even if we don't know, acknowledge or admit to it. Parp!

Birdy, of course I do. But I don't drop whatever litter my car may produce in your front garden or on your road, do I? As any smoker would when finishing their cancer-stick. Just to add some more perspective. To compare cars and smoking is not right here, as no-one smokes because they have to. I use a car because I have to. If I could cycle to work I would happily do so. But this is now getting massively off topic. And don't start dragging the "brilliant" public transport options we have into this...please! :D

Sorry but my simple mind thinks they are the same, it's polluting peoples air based on habits. Anyroad as you say I best not hi-jack this thread.

sorry will, you've missed my point

a health act that allows unhealthy actions is ridiculous, especially when we live in one of the dirtiest boroughs in town, councils should be doing the jobs that were around before smoking bans, like clearing up the dog shit that everyone loves to leave on the ladder, removing graffiti,fixing the pavements etc etc, what are streetsweepers for? sweeping the streets for small litter i imagine

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service