Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Here's 'behaviour change' with a vengeance!

A woman was fined over £900 last week for dropping a cigarette on the pavement and failing to pay her penalty notice.

Cllr Nilgun Canver, Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods,said:

"People seem to think it's ok to drop cigarette butts in the street. Well it's not ok. It costs the council a lot of money to sweep up this litter and I hope this fine will make people think twice before throwing a butt away in future."

On Thursday the 5th of August Haringey Council Enforcement Officers spotted Kristina Djemal of 13 Charmwood Road, Enfield, throwing away a cigarette in Wood Green High Road and making no attempt to pick it up.

The officers were in the middle a litter patrol exercise with local police at the time.

Djemal was advised that dropping the cigarette was a littering offence and issued her with a fixed penalty notice of £75.  

Despite reminder letters being sent, the fixed penalty notice was not paid, and the case was referred for prosecution.

Although Djemal failed to turn up at court on December 1st, Tottenham Magistrates found her guilty of littering and she was fined £525.00, with full costs of £382.00. A collection order was also granted, providing for bailiffs to visit the home to collect the money.

Tags for Forum Posts: litter

Views: 707

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Will; Christmas starts for me today and I don't intend to spoil it thinking about a messy North London suburb (where I grew up).

If you read back on this theme, many pages back now, you'll see that I never said that 'taken alone' a pathetic badly managed attempt at enforcing something is the slippery slope.. but taken in catalogue of many measures.. it is.

Germany ? Very conservative and clean ? Both clichees

and your efforts to bait me about Poland or where ever won't work..

Look forward to 2011 and the coming war for the Malvinas, (perhaps blighty's last colonial war) and be happy that you live in such a happy, peaceful*lol (http://www.britains-smallwars.com/) , contented, socially 'ausgewogen' country.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service