Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Are there any birders out there who can help me with an identification. Saw a pair of wildfowl in lordship rec today. Mallard sized. Where can I post a picture?

Views: 308

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can't find it in my rspb birds of Britain and Europe. Wondering if winter plumage has scupperd me!

You can add a picture here - just click he little icon above where you type - second from left

If we can't help http://www.ispotnature.org/ certainly will be able to.

It's probably really obvious...

they are Egyptian Geese - https://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/e/egyptiangoose/ind... "Related to the shelduck, this pale brown and grey goose has distinctive dark brown eye-patches and contrasting white wing patches in flight. It was introduced as an ornamental wildfowl species and has escaped into the wild, now successfully breeding in a feral state."

Thank you Gen!

I saw one in January in Springfield Park, on the canal:

Lovely picture!

Hi there, these are Egyptian geese. Fabulously odd-looking, aren't they? Technically not seen as wild but feral, these birds were imported into Britain for collections and now breed around southern and eastern England. They do often turn up in parks with water but I don't know if I've seen them in the Rec before.

Are these the ones that are quite aggressive ?

These were in the rare section in the back of my bird book and the picture's not very good which made identification really tricky. It made me so excited to see something different. I'm a bit of a 'Bad Birdwatcher' a la Simon Barnes and even in Haringey I've seen so much to enjoy. A kestrel above the house (not on the ladder anymore, I'm up on Boundary Road now), Black Caps in the garden last winter, Goldfinches on our feeder this summer, Redwings on Duckett's Common about four winters ago, Long Tailed Tits in one particular tree in Downhills Park, not to mention the fabulous Starlings and Crows mooching around the rec. One of the joys of middle age is you can admit this stuff and not care if you're cool or not. Hooray for birds in the city!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service