Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Council's Traffic pages show that the works to install humps on Wightman & Alroy Roads are scheduled for March.

Tags for Forum Posts: Wightman traffic calming, traffic, wightman Road

Views: 177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Personally I'm all in favour of the 20mph speed restrictions. I am amazed at the way drivers speed along Wightman Road as though it's a dual carriageway. Zebra crossings on their own don't seem to have much effect. I have lost count of the number of times I have waited at the crossing on Endymion Road as drivers race past not bothering to stop for waiting pedestrians. With speed bumps motorists have no choice but to slow down!
You're absolutely right Kavitha. Let's hope we see some slower traffic.
If it doesn't slow down, our block of flats at one of the raised tables is going to be shaken to its foundations, as it was when they were pile-driving for the new flats on the site of the former petrol station.
I notice the work to the pavements have started on Wightman Road, in particular on the footpath next to Jewsons (going South from Harringay Rail station)
They have used Bitumen - an inferior and possibly cheapest product for footpaths. I don't think that you have to be an academic to see this but what they have done is one of the cardinal sins in Street Design! ;o)
Here is my email to John Mc Queen (Project Engineer):

Dear John,

I notice that repairs to the footway have started. This is great, but
I have slight concerns about the quality. Bitumen is an inferior
product for pavements and I notice this is what you have used to the newly
laid footway parallel to Jewsons. This tends to crack and buckle in
extreme weather conditions and can look really bad long term. Are you
considering similar treatments to the footway for Alroy Road? Is it
too late to offer suggestions? I have some experience in Street
Design having just completed an MA in Urban Design. I have also
worked on project managing footway and parking on Minerva Road, West
London with TfL and Moucel Parkman. Therefore I was wondering if we
could have a chat about the design/ material ideas, if it is not too
late?

Colin
Take a stroll down Effingham Road. It has been finished to a very high degree. I can't understand why Effingham has been done so well and none of the other roads. Anyway, it should be a blueprint for footpath they do around here.
Do any councillors live on Effingham ? Just wondering :)
There's (allegedly)a by-law covering footway quality for Mayores emeriti.
Birdy has a lot of influence in the hood.
Colin, I think the pavement work plan predates the 20mph zone project and comes from a different budget - more to do with pedestrian calming than traffic calming. I believe it's just another mini-phase of the patch 'n' pitch approach to Wightman's pavements started eighteen months ago on the Turnpike to Effingham stretch. I'm not at all sure that either Alroy Rd or the Duckett-to-Effingham stretch have reached their radar yet. So far they seem to have 'done' the Jewson stretch (excluding the more challenging bit on the flooded corner), Burgoyne west of New River and the St Paul's Church stretch to Cavendish. We'll be interested to hear John McQueen's response to your email.
I have read the letter again which was posted thro our boxes by Joan Hancox (23 Feb) and you could be right. 3rd paragrapgh reads"the implementation of the 20mph zone scheme will follow on from the carriageway and footway resurfacing work currently underway...."

Putting in expensive traffic calming without dealing with substandard pathways is like polishing a turd :o(
I wonder whether the Turd Polishers are among the backroom staff LBH are making redundant to freeze our Council Tax?
I know what you mean I too am suffering from those "backroom staff" (who earn more than Gordon Brown). I've been turfed on the scrap heap at Brent by the end of March. Tough times

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service