Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Why has this post been closed? "Council to invest in extra local police officers"

Here: Council to invest in extra local police officers

I was awaiting further responses to the questions posed but then realised it has been closed.

Views: 1167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

IT HAS been more than a fortnight since the announcement about policing by James Ryan.

Despite much subsequent comment, there's been nothing further from the Harringay Ward candidate. This looks like, but I hope is not, in the words of Phil, a good-news drive-by.

The pre-election announcement on some extra roaming officers ought to raise wider questions about policing:

I was surprised to learn recently, how much time Special Constables put in.

I would like to record my disappointment that – 12 days ago at the Full Council Budget debate – the Council Majority Group voted down an Opposition budget amendment that would have helped our Special Constables. The proposal was that their council tax should be halved. It wouldn't have cost much and the proposal was fully costed.

I 'd like to know Mr Ryan's view about the rejection of the proposal.

IMO, it would have been a goodwill measure to reward those who 'put themselves in harm's way for no pay' and it might have encouraged other members of the community to step forward too.

I would like to add that this simple, practical measure also had the support of the Haringey Borough Police Commander.

Disclosure:
am a prospective councillor candidate
Highgate Ward | Liberal Democrat Party

Youth volunteers put themselves in 'harms way' sometimes, where is their discount? I think the issue that the Labour Party had with your proposal (apart from the unfairness and obvious politicking) was that there was only ONE Special Constable who lived in the borough and worked here. They're encouraged to work away from where they live.

Can you, as opposition, please question the freezing of council tax that was orchestrated by Joe Goldberg? I know that you're probably happy with it as your electorate will be but WHY did he do it? I drove from Crouch End into Tottenham/Edmonton yesterday and there are a lot of new flats being built on the high road. I figure that they'll have service charges upwards of £1500 each. This is much more than their council tax would be.

Freezing of CT benefits the builders of these properties (because they can up their service charges) and people who pay full council tax. It does not benefit people who use the council's services which are being slashed. This all dovetails in nicely with Alan Stanton's forced gentrification theory. We're moving people who use the council's services (children, the disabled, the elderly) out. This will benefit the people left behind greatly in reduced council tax but, will we sleep well at night? What will we say when the billionaires move into Highbury and we are forced out too?

I am aware that as outlined the above is more probably as a Tory or even LibDem policy but there you have it.

John, the Budget amendment envisaged a total cost for the proposal at £36,700 and it was checked by council officers (please see the attached council document).

Does this not envisage helping more than just one Special Constable?

Without intending any disrespect to your views, I would also like to hear the opinion of the majority group's official candidate who made the pre-election announcement about policing.

Attachments:

To benefit from your proposal presumably you would need to both live and work as a Special Constable in Haringey. You can't convince other boroughs to give the CT discount and is it really fair to reward volunteers who work in other boroughs when there are plenty of more deserving volunteers here?

I've also been told that only one Haringey Special Constable lives in the borough. But as far as possible I like to double check facts and figures before going public with them. 

Though, John, I seriously doubt that the Labour "Leadership" knew this was the actual figure. Don't you think they'd have pointed it out with yah-boo glee?

In any case, this whole debate misses a key point. Officers in the Met should be drawn from people across all the areas and communities of London. How is this achieved?  To be clear, I'm not saying that only people from inside each  borough or who live within the 32 boroughs should serve as local police officers. That would exclude many excellent people.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

Lives in the borough and WORKS in the borough. There are more that live and obviously also more that work but this only benefits those who do both OR it's unfair OR it requires the cooperation of other boroughs. It's rubbish. Traffic, traffic, traffic is what people cry but that's just too hard.

In truth Clive, the previous post was closed on 3rd March. James could have replied sooner within the first week but he was certainly restricted from responding to that particular post for a week now.

Let's see how quick you are to responding to Eminie's previous comment; the clock is ticking:

"The first thing i would ask since you are providing glowing references for your fellow candidates is:

1. Do they agree with you that according to your experience the ladder is not in need of extra police officers or improved pavements. You party absolutely did not agree at the budget meeting.

2. I shall break my own rule by asking a question here that is not relevant to the actual thread (but most of the posts from you fit that bill anyway) and ask you again as i did after full council whether you believe the comment made by one of the Harringay Councillors during the budget debate was ill judged and offensive. Here i shall do the same as you and refer you to the case of Godfrey Bloom and comments made in the European Parliament. I will not post the comment as i refuse to but refer those interested to the webcast available on Haringey Councils website. I am casting no judgement simply asking a question. When i asked you Clive, you bid me good evening and turned and walked away. Very good at asking questions not quite so experienced at answering them!

3. Please can i also ask you to answer my question on the Finsbury Park Strategy Group thread which i posted yesterday morning. This question was about why you continued to demand answers from me on an online forum about an issue you had been given an answer to prior to myself, misleading a forum in to believing that information was being withheld from you when in fact you had the details prior to the person you were demanding them from. Again very good at asking questions not so experienced at answering them.

I for one can pledge here that i am interested in the issues that face residents in Harringay ward and not descending in to rather tedious mudslinging. Can you commit to that too Clive or is that another question you will refuse to answer?"

Reposting what is essentially political bickering is not going to help.

1. Is like asking "do you agree that more X would be good?" with no acknowledgement of what it costs or where it might be better spent. More policemen, hurrah.

2. I think this is round 1 to David Schmitz.

3. Demanding answers in an online forum when both of you have the information is to make the other get in trouble for posting it no? Childish? Perhaps.

It's the principle John. I would have thought someone such as yourself would understand that.

It annoys me when I see something like that going on and think to myself "how does this benefit residents?" and the answer is, it doesn't, despite the disclaimer at the bottom.

I agree with you. When I first posted this, it was a genuine query as to why the linked post had been closed. For Clive to comment that "IT HAS been more than a fortnight since the announcement about policing by James Ryan" ignores the truth and is a lazy attempt at political gain.

Fortunately our current Lib Dem councillors, the one's that really matter to us in Harringay, have made no such attempt on this post or James'.

They're both pretty good at HoL now ;)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service