Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Ok imagine there was an exciting idea at work which required a visual tool to help implement it and at home, in your own time you worked on the tool and brought it into work. Your boss loves it and your company decides to employ the tool for the work they do. Now imagine you realise that that tool stands up brilliantly on its own and has loads of uses and could be great asset for many organisations

Do you ...

1) Suggest your company trade marks it and hope for a pay rise
2) Quickly trade mark it and then negotiate from a strong position further down the road, should 'ownership' becomes disputed
3) Try to negotiate a shared use agreement in an upfront way before doing anything

Views: 542

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am not a lawyer, but I have been an entrepreneur. Ownership of work you do in your own time can be governed by statutory rights -- no matter what your contract states, the law of the land may supercede it.

Those particular rights vary from country and even from state to state in the U.S. For example, New York state is quite clear that everything can belong to your employer (depending on contract you signed) while California's state law is clear that no contract claiming ownership of work done at home without company resources is enforceable -- interesting which state is better known for being a hotbed of innovation.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2208056

My understanding is that the EU and the UK has definitely come down on the California side of the argument, so check before assuming you have no rights.
Ok will do, thanks !
Did you do any of the work at work or save to work repositories etc if so its 99.99% theirs.
I spoke to the chief exec, she is happy for me to use the tool for whatever purposes I wish, as long as they can continue to use it for there own. That's the joy of working in the voluntary sector, people are less hard nosed.

I've got an e-learning self made millionaire friend from school looking into getting a software developer to make an accompanying app who is considering backing the idea, fingers crossed.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service