Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

What would you do if the council had cut everything in your neighbourhood?

I don't know if this has been discussed elsewhere, the BBC is to show a two-part programme tomorrow (Monday) night. It's called, "The Street That Cut Everything", and is presented by political editor Nick Robinson.

In the programme, residents living in a street in Preston were asked in an experiment to agree to forego every council service with the exception of children's schooling, the police and fire services for a six-week period. In return, each household were given £52.90, the average council tax that they would normally pay, and asked what sort of priorities their money should be spent on. It's a crude take on the Big Society, in which local communities are expected to take on the responsibilities of running their neighbourhoods where local councils has failed.

The programme also highlight the difficulties local councils have in making such decisions where the overall national funding picture is shrinking. I may disagree about what decisions being made by the council, but at least I appreciate they have a tough job to do, particularly in the here and now.

For those who are interested, "The Street That Cut Everything" is on BBC1 tomorrow at 9.00 and 10.35pm.

Tags for Forum Posts: public spending cuts

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Will be interesting to see if they deal with Learning Disabilities and Child Protection issues etc.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service